Dry hopping in keg - cloudy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
I've got an IIPA that is kegged and carbed. My standard procedure is to dry hop in the keg. I cold crashed for about a week (while dry hopping). Now, the beer is cloudy. I suspect chill haze, but will have a better idea as the beer fully warms up to serving temps. In the meantime, my question is whether dry hopping (and leaving the hops in the keg) would cause any additional haze to develop....

you'll get a decent bit of haze from 4oz dry hop but you are also probably seeing effects of chill haze as well - hops won't make the beer opaque but it won't look crystal clear

Hops haze is far more subtle- it will be a clear beer, but with a slight haze from hops. If you've got more than that, it's probably chill haze or yeast haze.

The variety of hop may also effect the level of cloudiness. I recently dry hopped with smaragd and boy did it make that batch cloudy.

My dry hopped in the keg beers do keep a haze for quite awhile, and then a few weeks later clear up even with the dry hop bag just sitting in the keg. My Denny's rye ipa just cleared up after 2-3 weeks in the keg, so it's possible, but hazy hoppy beers are just as good as clear hoppy beers IMO.

The polyphenols in hops (also called tannins) bind the proteins in the beer. That can create cloudiness. It's also why really hoppy beers often have fantastic foam formation and retention.

Just dry hopped my Vienna-style lager in the keg. I dry hopped it in the keg with 1oz of Saaz. It's only day two, and it now looks like a Hefeweizen.

Latest posts

Back