Whats more Awful Tofu or Belgian Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is more Awful? Tofu? or Belgian Beers?

• Tofu?

• Belgian Beers?

• Neither! Tofu Dubbel anyone?

• Both are equally repulsive.

• Ralph Nader

Results are only viewable after voting.
Didn't you guys know about the new NB Tofu Tripel they have on sale? I'll be serving it on tap later next month!

On an added note, it really bums me hard that some people don't dig Belgians. It's almost offensive to me =(

Tofu, only by a very small margin. I can tolerate either, but also don't like either very much. Green Flash's Belgian styles seem to sit with me best because of their generous use of hops. It's something about the fruity (estery) and/or yeasty and/or wheaty flavor in most of them. Granted, I've only had a little selection, so if I'm doing myself an injustice by missing a great one, please tell me.

I will eat/drink either, tofu lacks depth and is 100% dependent on the skill of the one who prepares it and what they flavor it with, the margin for error is super high. Belgians on the other hand seem like I can just put whatever the heck I want into a fermentor, not worry about temp control, and get something "belgian" in the end. Normally something kind of refreshing IMO (I usually do belgian wheats).

Tofu, only by a very small margin. I can tolerate either, but also don't like either very much. Green Flash's Belgian styles seem to sit with me best because of their generous use of hops. It's something about the fruity (estery) and/or yeasty and/or wheaty flavor in most of them. Granted, I've only had a little selection, so if I'm doing myself an injustice by missing a great one, please tell me.

I suggest you have some L'Achouffe. Their Houblon is quite hoppy! Or Achouffe McChouffe if you like scotch ales. They're great belgian brews!

I still don't understand how some folks can't even enjoy Chimay Blue. I swear to god it's like ambrosia.

Since you're in SD and you like hoppy beers, I would strongly suggest Stone Cali-Belgique. It's basically a Stone IPA with Belgian yeast.

I currently have my belgian tripel in the secondary with some tofu, and it smells great :)

JoePro said:
I still don't understand how some folks can't even enjoy Chimay Blue. I swear to god it's like ambrosia.

The beer that turned me onto craft beer in the first place - the first beer I bought when I was of age @ 19y.o. here - is pretty much a Chimay Blue clone, though definitely with some differences: Unibroue's Trois Pistoles.

A few months later I got to try an old bottle of Chimay Blue. And that was nothing short of a freaking religious experience, something I'm not even sure I've ever repeated!

But an aged Chimay blue, having lost much of its apparent sweetness and gained significant complexity, with a slightly noticeable but pleasant mustiness about it... it's really hard to beat.

DregAddict said:
Both are delicious. I will abstain from voting.

I'm confused.

Even the freaking tofu FANATICS are always saying, "tofu doesn't really have its own taste, it just absorbs the surrounding flavors."

So how the heck can tofu be "delicious"?

Tofu > Belgian because it has the potential to not make me throw up in my mouth a bit when I consume it!

Tofu > Belgian because it has the potential to not make me throw up in my mouth a bit when I consume it!

You guys that hate Belgian beer must be drinking the wrong stuff.

Abbaye Saint bon Chien '08? (Tied with Chimay Blue on the most delicious beer in the world)
Chimay Blue/Red/Cinq Cents?
De Dolle Teve?
De Dolle Oerbier?
L'achouffe? Even L'Achouffe Houblon for you hopheads?
Piraat?
Maredsous?
Westmalle?
Corsendonk?
Kasteel tripel/ donker (10 year vintage?????)
Fantome?
Rochefort 10?
St. Bernardus Abt 12?

No? SERIOUSLY? NONE OF THESE BEERS APPEAL TO YOU?

It always boggles me how people can somehow just uniformly "not like Belgians". The person who mentioned not liking tomatoes as a kid hit it dead on.

It's not just limited to beer, but man, some people have the freaking palate of a child and *seriously* need to let it develop.

JoePro said:
You guys that hate Belgian beer must be the wrong stuff.

Abbaye Saint bon Chien '08? (Tied with Chimay Blue on the most delicious beer in the world)
De Dolle Teve?
De Dolle Oerbier?
Piraat?
Maredsous?
Westmalle?
Corsendonk?
Fantome?

That list is ridiculously incomplete without at least Rochefort 10, and St. Bernardus Abt 12.

JoePro said:
Man. I gotta admit.

I went from :mad: to :confused: to :rolleyes: to :)

That's an awful lot of emotions to experience over the course of such a short post. Have you ever been screened for schizophrenia?

I hate tofu, Belgian beer, babies, puppies, pizza, Jesus, football, sex, ice cream, music, flowers, and smiles. :D

Smoked tofu is a great addition to just about any stir fry, and a nearly tasteless addition to a good protein shake.

I've had some Belgians I liked too, in fact I have a Belgian wit that I make regularly.

You guys that hate Belgian beer must be drinking the wrong stuff.

De Dolle Teve?
De Dolle Oerbier?
Piraat?
Maredsous?
Westmalle?
Corsendonk?
Fantome?
Rochefort 10?
St. Bernardus Abt 12?

I tend to forget the beers I've tried and didn't like. I've tried all the Chimay's - they werent drain pours but they weren't rebuys either. I'll check out one of the others and report back to reconfirm or change my position on Belgians. (my brother loves them - so I've tried 10+ that he swore I'd like - and was wrong.)

Back