wit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdiesel

Reaction score
I have been brewing ag ipa's for about a year now and some wheat beers. But 2 days ago I started experimenting with wit beer. I used flaked wheat and flaked oat 1 lb each and I used 5lb 6 row and 3lb American wheat. I have never used flaked anything. My wort was literally pale white with very little yellow tint. Im wondering how bad is this screwed up if at all.

The color sounds about right for the grains you used. Just go ahead and continue how you planned. I doubt you messed anything up, just from what you described.

The milky white wort is something I never seen before. I hope it yellows with fermentation.

It could be from break material. There is a lot of protein in wheat that will cause cloudiness and appear to make the wort seem lighter.

If that's not the case, make sure to report what happens to the color after fermenting

It is possible. I brewed a Berliner Weisse a couple months ago and it was pretty pale, but after fermentation, it turned out to be a nice light golden color.

You might end up with a Wit with a color like Hoegaarden.

How long has it been since you brewed it?

I pitched 2 days ago. I have not checked the color because it is in a pale instead of a carboy.

You won't be able to see the color until the yeast finish and drop out.

If its fermenting, don't worry about it. As long as you did everything like you normally do, you should be ok. Worst case scenario is you have a beer that is off in color. As long as it tastes ok, can you really be disappointed?

isn't "wit" Dutch for "white" ?

still... I wouldn't be expecting milky white wort.

bet it looks like Ash or Bishop from Alien/s when they got ripped apart

Not quite as white as bishops blood. Very pale white with light brownish yellow tint. Seems strange to me. Time will tell I guess.

ForumRunner_20130111_180251.jpg

isn't "wit" Dutch for "white" ?

Yes. Yes it is.

I just recently did many first witbier as well. I think it's perfectly normal to have a very pale wort. I wouldn't call it white but mine was extremely pale.

That wort looks just fine. Make sure to take a picture and post it when it is finished!

sorry to hear that, dumping a batch is like losing a friend, isn't it?

if I could ask what the recipe was and where you got it?

I don't have the recipe with me right now but it was off hopville. I chose it because most recipes i looked at were the same or similar.

The ingredients are in my original post. Maybe too much flaked oat. I don't know but bad on the flavor mouth feel and color that's what I would guess.

Back