Filtering while racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewPounder

Reaction score
Later today I will start a secondary fermentation. I was planning on filtering through a grain bag for less sediment and better clarity. My concern is that some yeast might get caught in the bag and hinder fermentation. Thoughts?

Leave it alone. Unless you're aging for a long time you don't need a secondary. Leaving it alone for 3-5 weeks will produce clean and clear beer.

Also there's really no such thing as secondary fermentation unless you're adding more fermentable sugar.

Sounds good, It's been in primary for 9 days now, I think I'll let it sit for 3 more weeks then bottle. Thanks for the input.

Other options if you have a very hoppy beer is to add some muslin cloth over your siphon tube while transferring it out of primary (to keg, or bottling bucket). Also, I've read others have had luck 'cold crashing' the beer before siphoning - by chilling it to ensure more solids have fallen to the bottom. Just a few ideas I am currently exploring myself.

LateraLex said:
Other options if you have a very hoppy beer is to add some muslin cloth over your siphon tube while transferring it out of primary (to keg, or bottling bucket). Also, I've read others have had luck 'cold crashing' the beer before siphoning - by chilling it to ensure more solids have fallen to the bottom. Just a few ideas I am currently exploring myself.

Cold crashing is a great idea, too. 48 hours at 50 degrees or lower works wonders.

Latest posts

Back