Mini-mash using a cooler vs. boiling in a bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
I just started trying a mini-mash, and have been using the techniques in the thread on this site.

But now I'm wondering would it be easier/better to construct a cooler based mash unit. It seems like once made it would be easier to simply add your water and let sit for an hour vs. the straining bag, etc.

I was thinking of a 5-gal. setup.

Comments?

PS: didn't mean boiling with bag as its steeping.

The grain bag technique is ideal for people who don't want to mess around with cooler conversion. I'd agree though that the cooler with a braid installed makes it fool proof and convenient.

I am not sure if you steeping roasted grains and or mashing base malts. The cooler conversion is definitely easier and likely a bit more efficient.

I messed around with the bag method twice when starting to do partial mashes. The first time went well but the second time was just a giant PITA. The next day I converted a cooler into a mash tun with a stainless steel braided hose and haven't looked back since.

Latest posts

Back