What equipment am I missing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewery

Reaction score
I'm just getting started with homebrew. Here's a list of equipment I have already: what am I missing, if anything? I'm looking at just the essentials here.

I have:
-6 gallon better bottle, portered with racking adapter and high flow valve & carboy stopper
-3 piece airlock
-Bottle Filler
-Siphon hose
-Spoon
-Thermohydrometer
-Capper and caps (and bottles)
-Funnel
-Cleaner and sanitizer
-Large enough kettle for partial boil
-and of course, the beer ingredients (I'm starting with an extract)

What else do I need?

my address to send me the finished product...
Sounds pretty good for a first time brew! What are you going to be making specifically?

*edit* bottling bucket?

Maybe a wine thief for pulling hydrometer samples (tukey baster would work too)
muslin bags for your hops (optional)
funnel to get the wort into the better bottle.

Looks like you got most of it covered.

forgot to add that I do have a funnel and nylon bag as well.

I don't plan on doing secondary fermentation (from what I read, for many brews it seems unnecessary).
What about a bottling bucket? Maybe I'm a sucker for their marketing, but it seems like getting another better bottle with the racking/valve adapter for carboy-to-carboy closed-loop racking and then bottling is the way to go.

My first brew is going to be a bock - Shiner Bock clone. Looking forward to getting started in a couple of weeks - in the meantime, I'll be reading everything I can about brewing!

A bottling bucket would be pretty useful. You could go BB, but it's nice to have the wide open top of a bucket. Especially helpful if you are aerating your wort with a collander. You just rest the collander on top of your bucket and pour the cooled wort through. Helps for quicker start times after pitching your yeast.

And +1 on the autosiphon. It's well worth the 8 bucks. Makes siphoning a beeze.

Another item I picked up recently was a wall paper tray. It's cheap and gives you a good place to sanatize your siphon, airlock, etc. I used to prop my siphon up in carboys and buckets, but with the tray, I just grab it when I need it and toss it back into the starsan when I'm done.

That said, you have plenty to make beer as is. And, you'll be putting plenty of money into the hobby over the years. So, I say go brew something!

Back