Dry hopping in a bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So what is the rule of thumb when dry hopping in a bucket? I am not gonna do a secondary just use the primary which I have in a bucket. Is it a safe idea to lift the lid a bit and throw the hops in or is there a safer way to do this?

Throw the hops in right before the beer finishes fermenting (less than a day if possible). Shouldn't scrub off too much aroma and you should still get some off-gassing to keep the oxygen at bay.

My recipe says to let the hops sit in there for 1 week plus I don't know when the beer is finishing fermenting. (this is the first batch I have made)

In that case, wait about a week after pitching the yeast and throw the hops in then. Wait another week and bottle/keg.

That is what I was thinking. How should I go about it though to make sure I don't oxidate the beer or get any bacteria in there? Should I just try and gently open the lid a little bit and throw the hops in after I have sanitized them or what?

No need to sanitize the hops themselves. If you are going to use a hop bag then boil that in water and add the hops to it. I don't use a bag and just throw the hops right in the fermenter trying to cover as much area as I can (no thick layers) and then replace the top.

So by me taking the top off it shouldn't hurt the beer at all?

There will be CO2 in the headspace and the jostling of removing and replacing the lid should release more CO2, this will push the oxygen up out of the way.

Well that is good to know. So just make sure I try not to disturb much of the beer and I will be fine? How does oxidation occur in a situation like that since a lot of people make it a big deal to try and not move the beer around.

Latest posts

Back