PBW pitted my aluminum pot after soaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
I know PBW says it's safe for aluminum but after soaking overnight my aluminum kettle now has tons of pits all throughout the inside

i figured the soak would prob remove the oxidized layer and i'd have to reboil water in it but I just went to fill fit strike water to start heating and noticed tons of little pits all over

FYI to those using aluminum - don't soak overnight with PBW

I was going to be ordering a SS 42qt soon so not the end of the world but now I have to push back my brewday for another week

i've washed the same BK several times with PBW (safe on aluminum per their instructions) but the long soak didn't treat it so well

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/311/PBW Tech Sheet.pdf

PBW is similar to oxiclean. oxygen + aluminum = aluminum oxide.

no cleaner takes 24+ hours to work. the only reason for soaking overnight is because you dont feel like cleaning it now. what does that get you? a discolored pot.

Why can't you use the pot as is? Unless the pits are so deep you fear a leak? Oxidize and use, no?
yep, the only thing wrong with it is now its not very attractive. it does still function as a pot and is safe to use.

Yeah, don't do that. A quick scrub with the stuff is OK, but nothing more than 5mins. Oxygen based cleaners will eat a hole right through aluminum given enough time.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/311/PBW Tech Sheet.pdf

PBW is similar to oxiclean. oxygen + aluminum = aluminum oxide.

no cleaner takes 24+ hours to work. the only reason for soaking overnight is because you dont feel like cleaning it now. what does that get you? a discolored pot.

yep, the only thing wrong with it is now its not very attractive. it does still function as a pot and is safe to use.

this is direct from PBW spec sheet - it's very common for people to soak kegs, etc with pbw overnight to remove tough buildup

P.B.W. is an excellent choice as a soak cleaner because it does not require excessive heat as do most caustic based cleaners. This product has cleaned brass and copper filters, and industrial aluminum surfaces successfully.

Back