Question for Lager Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerWomb

Reaction score
I am planning to do lagers in the summer so I need some lager storage for the ferm stages.

I already have a good sized side by side fridge/freezer. I thought about getting a temp controller but I realized that my fridge is in the garage with no air conditioner. I do not want to run the risk of overusing my beer fridge with the temp controller hooked it.

So here brings our dilemma. I have some questions on this ad on craigslist; http://lafayette.craigslist.org/app/1684407202.html

Do you think this redbull fridge will be great fit for a 6 gallon plastic/glass carboy?

Would a temp controller work with this setup?

I am pretty sure that would hold your carboy, but it is not a very conducive shape as it will only hold one due to the lack of side-by-side space. You can use a temp controller successfully on a fridge but they are really better for freezers. If you want to lager you need to make sure your fridge can get down to that temp in the first place (it should, but it depends on the age of it) and if it does, the temp control unit will work fine. I really recommend not getting the redbull cooler, your money is much better used going on craiglist and buying a used chest freezer. I bought one and I can fit 3 carboys in it, lager in it, run 6 kegs....and it was 80 bucks.

I agree. But like "shot" poster mentioned before. That cooler has limited use. Other than cooling drinks or whatever. It doesn't carry the same multi-use of a chest freezer.

thats true. I dont have the extra space for a big freezer, so that would be perfect for me. BTW I would prob only do one lager at a time anyway.

You may only be doing one lager at a time but if you are going to spend the money you should give yourself some room for later expansion so you don't have to re-buy. Not to mention if you don't mind putting a little bit of time into the chest freezer you can turn it into a piece of furniture you are proud of and can make room for in your home instead of the basement/garage. I have a university themed room and if you look at my profile gallery you can see what I did with a very old beat-up freezer...and I have no building experience beyond 8th grade shop class :) I just would hate to see you spend that money when you could spend the same amount and get something that you get multipurpose use of down the road.

Back