Dry Hop with Columbus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdochughes

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of questions.

1.What are good rates for dry hopping with Columbus in particular?

I dry hopped a 5gal batch of IPA with Columbus-1oz, amarillo-0.5oz-cascade-0.5oz and Simcoe-0.5oz. I got a strong Piney aroma and flavor (I believe) from the Columbus.
2. Will this mellow and dissipate to a reasonable intensity? Its been 5 days since kegging.

Cheers!

You dryhopped at a ratio of 0.50 oz. hops per gallon of beer. For a standard IPA, this is a good ratio. I frequently do 0.50 to 0.75 oz/gal for standard IPAs.

If you don't like the particular character that the dryhop offered, then that is a lesson learned. But perhaps what you dislike about the beer has something to do with the recipe as a whole, so that is something to think about too.

I would drink the beer when it's fresh and let it grow on you. A 2-3 month old homebrewed IPA won't have the same pop and quality of flavor/aroma when compared to a fresher IPA.

Waiting about 2 weeks was the perfect amount of time post kegging. It tastes great now!

Latest posts

Back