"Wine" equipment for beer brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhoz

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on a craigslist find. The ad claims a 7 gal and 5 gal carboy for winemaking. I assume the carboy on the left is the 7gal. Would this shape be ok for a primary? I'm concerned the shape might shoot krausen out the top. I am also concerned that the surface of the liquid will be greater due to the shape and increase the chances of oxygenation.

01020101041201030220070813186efb4014bb8c337a007f82.jpg

Sure. That would work fine for beer. The 7 gal would be perfect for a primary, and the 5 gal is a perfect secondary. During primary fermentation, almost all of the oxygen is purged from the headspace, so it's not a worry. BTW, wine is MUCH more succeptable to oxygenation than beer, so if it's good for wine, it's probably good for beer. ;)

That's weird, I just saw this on Craigslist this morning then remembered seeing that same picture in this thread yesterday. I guess you beat me to it!

DaveyBoy said:
That's weird, I just saw this on Craigslist this morning then remembered seeing that same picture in this thread yesterday. I guess you beat me to it!
I didn't bite. I asked the person to break up the lot of stuff and they wouldn't. Go for it.

Back