Whats the deal with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hesh

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here, but been reading for quite a while, so Hello officially.

I have a strange goings on in my current batch, a pumpkin ale brewed on 9/20, i decided to finally get this into bottles and i realized my bucket lid hadn't been sealed when i switched it to secondary! uh oh! And the image is of what welcomed me, an 1/8" layer of weird krausen/film with a strong Apple smell, but it doesn't look like any bacterial infections I've seen pics of. Out side of not closing the bucket lid my F*** up included also forgetting to sanitize the bucket! I bottled an esb from my bucket and racked the current pumpkin ale into the bucket for secondary.

Could this be bacteria/mold or a 2nd krausen the 1st batches left over yeast finally taking off? I used Wyeast whitbread for the pumpkin, but had Wyeast Ringwood yeast in the previous batch, the yeast cake was rinsed out well, but not starsan-ed. Doh!

The weirdest part is that the beer and possible "krausen" don't really have much taste at all! The top layer is weird and soapy/oily feeling and looks like curdled milk on my fingers, but the "curdle" tastes like not much, a little chalky.

Any ideas on whats going on with this fubar beer? The OG was 1.049 and the gravity reading i took just now was some where between 1.02 and 1.01, the film made an accurate reading impossible.

2012-11-05_18-20-28_187.jpg

2012-11-05_18-20-37_557.jpg

It doesn't look like an infection in my limited experience. But that is a whole lot of headspace. How big a batch did you make? Since your ESB was (assumedly) sanitary to begin with, it's unlikely not sanitizing it before reusing is the source of any trouble, though it's possible that an unsealed secondary could have let some little guy in. Hopefully someone with a better eye for infections or who has seen that before will chime in and be more helpful.

Its a 6 gal bucket with 5 gal in it. I ended up dumping it cuz after some opening and closing and agitation there were some larger filmy bubbles that looked no good at all. Oh well my first bad batch out of 3 years. Guess thats not too bad.

Latest posts

Back