Possible to adjust differential (hysteresis) on Johnson analog temp controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
I use the analog Johnson temp controller in my keg freezer (see pic below). Is it possible to set the differential (hysteresis) on these models? How?

Northern Brewer states that it has a 3.5 degree F differential (link) but I'm not sure if it's adjustable.

I'm on my second freezer in 2 years and want to make sure that the differential is not set too small by mistake which would cause the compressor to cycle on/off too much killing it prematurely.

Thanks!

Freezer%20to%20Fridge%20Thermostat%20conversion.jpg

Kal

I have no experience with that controller, but it's at least possible that it's adjustable. Pop the cover off- if you see these guys on the PCB, you can *probably* adjust the hysteresis:

PCB_variable_resistors.jpg

As to whether or not it's recommended to fiddle with knobs under the hood of that thing... well. If you have a multimeter and a basic knowledge of circuits, you're probably ok fiddling. If not, I'd settle for the 3.5 degree setting.

Thanks for checking and finding the tech doc on it! Very useful. It's going in my brewing equipment binder.

I'd have no issues with the electronics but if the hysteresis is hard set to 3.5'F and there's no control to adjust it (or more importantly instructions on how to set to 3.5'F) I'll leave it alone. Thanks!

Kal

Back