Dry hopping after being in secondary for a week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. I didn't have any hops available, when my primary fermentation was done. It sat in primary for 10 days, and has been in secondary in a carboy for 7 days now. Have any of you guys thrown a few ounces of hops in the carboy at this point, and let it go for another 7 day or so before bottling or kegging?

Yep...that's exactly what I do, although I usually only go 3-5 days before cold crashing and kegging. I also leave in primary for at least two weeks. In an case you're good to go for your dryhop.

Sure! I normally dryhop for 5-7 days before packaging the beer. I add the hops about a week before packaging.

I don't always use a second vessel ("secondary") for dryhopping, and today I just added hops to the primary and I'll package it on Saturday or Sunday when I get time.

I believe in taking your time. I usually do 2-3 weeks in the primary, condition for 7-10 days in secondary, and then add dry hops for another 5-7 days. Three more weeks in the bottle - drink and be merry.

Does anyone dry hop for 2-3 days? I find that dry hopping for a few days rather than a week plus provides a cleaner / "sharper" hop flavor and aroma. Maybe I should revisit dry hopping for longer though, as I've been on the 3 day schedule for 8-9 months now!

Cheers.

Does anyone dry hop for 2-3 days? I find that dry hopping for a few days rather than a week plus provides a cleaner / "sharper" hop flavor and aroma. Maybe I should revisit dry hopping for longer though, as I've been on the 3 day schedule for 8-9 months now!

Cheers.

I do, at times. Well, not 2 days- but I've dryhopped quite a bit for 3 days.

I like 5 days a bit better, though, because I think I get a bit more aroma with a 5 day dryhop. It's been more like 7 days recently, just because of my work and home like schedule. I dryhopped today, and I'm hoping to package on Saturday but it might be more like Sunday before I get to it.

Well my XPA might just have to go 5 days instead of 3! I'll try it out - thanks for the input.

Thanks all, I'll grab some hops in a few days then, and throw them in for 5 - 7 days, then bottle.

I dry hop for 3 to 5 days. Then in to the keg it goes.

Also... dry hopping imparts little to no hop flavor... 95% aroma only. When you get hit in the nose with that wonderful aroma when you tip a glass... that's from dry hopping.

Gary

Latest posts

Back