Sunflower seeds as adjuncts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
I am brewing a black IPA and a RyePA for a sunflower themed wedding. I looked around in several threads and every one said the oils were a deal breaker as far as beer went. I was wondering if there was any way to seperate the oils, maybe soak them in water after malting and crushing them, and then seperate the oil from the water/seed mixture.

Maybe dry seed with whole seeds and hope for the best....

I am also toying with the idea of making a tea from the petals and using that in one of the beers.

I pretty much want to be able to say 'There is some form of sunflower in your beer'.

Any ideas, advice, pointers?
Thanks.

Turns out sprouts are not growing. So I harvested a bunch of petals for both beers.

Served the beer at the wedding party last night, huge hit. My 4 cases of beer got more action than 4 kegs combined. I am pretty pleased with myself.

Excellent! Most people don't bother to post results. Would care to share exactly how you used the petals?

I hear ya, alot of times im so excited to see what happens only to be let down. Not cool.

I picked the petals from 5 or 6 large glowers who were dipping really bad. This took a couple weeks, so I froze all the petals until I was ready to transfer into the secondary.

On transfer day I racked onto whatever hops my recipe called for, as well as the petals. I didnt bother defrosting them first, I didnt see the need.

I waited a week or two, pulled out the bags, drained them as best I could (trying to get that sweet hop nectar out) sealed it up for another few days and bottled.

Like I said, I wasn't expecting a sunflower flavor, it was more for the novelty for the wedding. But I am super proud to say everyone loved both beers.

Back