Any tips for getting rid of the oil on sultanas before using them in a wine recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatchIce9

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm going to try making an Elderberry Rose from a recipe in the Judith Irwin book, 'A Step by Step Guide to Making Home Made Wine'.
The recipe includes 450g of minced sultanas (to make 1 imperial gallon of wine).
The sultanas I've purchased have cottonseed oil, which I understand suppliers use to coat the sultanas to stop them sticking together in the packet (some suppliers use sunflower oil for same purpose).
What's the best method to get rid of the oil before using the sultanas in the wine recipe? Is it sufficient to just wash them in cold water, or warm water, soak them in water for an extended period, perhaps even use a bit a washing up liquid detergent and then rinsing thoughly afterward.
Any tips or suggestions?

Personally I probably wouldn't worry about it. It's not that much oil.

There are food safe soaps for produce to wash off the oils added to preserve fruit in the store. It should work on the sultanas. If you don't want to buy anything you could try just laying them out on a towel and gently pressing to soak the oil into the towels.

Interesting idea. Seems a bit of a waste of alcohol, though.
In the end I just washed them in a bowl of warm water 2 times for a few minutes each time, draining after each wash, then a final rinse in cold water. Some scumm was visible floating on surface of the bowl of water during each wash - less so after the second wash. I figured that would be sufficient. I then drained them and chopped them up to use in the recipe.

Back