American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am assuming (having now made and drank a batch) that this beer isn't actually at the IBUs given by brewing software (unless someone has the option of putting the hop usage as "continuous"). Anyone know or have a guess what the actual IBUs of the AG recipe are? Thanks!!!!!

Just made a scaled down 2.5 gallon extract version of this and missed the OG by a mile....I endend up with only 1.040 OG so it's way too bitter! Thinking about making another 2.5 batch with more DME and blending the two together. Anyone every tried this? Maybe I should make the same batch without hops and blend those, dont know but any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry

Dumb question. New to brewing, however was wondering after my primar fermentation is complete can i dry hop in my bottling bucket (i do not have another carboy to dry hop in)
thanks

Dumb question. New to brewing, however was wondering after my primar fermentation is complete can i dry hop in my bottling bucket (i do not have another carboy to dry hop in)
thanks

You could. But then, how will you bottle without using your bottling bucket, which is now full of beer and dryhops?

What I do now is wait until about a week before I plan to bottle, and add the dryhops to the fermenter. After a week, I rack to the bottling bucket and package the beer.

I made this recipe in early 2007, when I did some "secondaries". I almost never do them anymore.

great thanks!! So i could just wait the est 2 weeks to be sure the fermentation is complete and then add the hops in the same fermenter and that would be fine then transfer a week or so later to bottling bucket. would i need to agitate the beer after adding dry hops to make sure they are distributed

thanks for the help! getting ancy to brew tomorrow!!

one last thing... when steeping the grains should i get the water to the proper temp before adding the grains or leave them in frm teh beginning
thanks

great thanks!! So i could just wait the est 2 weeks to be sure the fermentation is complete and then add the hops in the same fermenter and that would be fine then transfer a week or so later to bottling bucket. would i need to agitate the beer after adding dry hops to make sure they are distributed

thanks for the help! getting ancy to brew tomorrow!!

Don't agitate! You don't want to oxidize the beer.

I always brought my water up to temperature and then added the grains, but it really doesn't matter.

ok i forgot to ask and then i am finished... I only have the one carboy will it screw everything up if i do not transfer to a secondary and just leave everything in the primary. sorry for being an idiot just really nervous

ok i forgot to ask and then i am finished... I only have the one carboy will it screw everything up if i do not transfer to a secondary and just leave everything in the primary. sorry for being an idiot just really nervous

I almost never transfer to a secondary (better called a "bright tank" or clearing vessel). I almost always dryhop in the fermenter a week before packaging the beer.

Yooper, I've had this at 61 to 63 for the primary 10 days. Tomorrow I will be dry hopping (in primary). It has gotten a bit colder in my basement. Would it be okay to move this into my house while dry hopping since primary fermentation is complete or will the higher temp still produce off flavors?

Yooper, I've had this at 61 to 63 for the primary 10 days. Tomorrow I will be dry hopping (in primary). It has gotten a bit colder in my basement. Would it be okay to move this into my house while dry hopping since primary fermentation is complete or will the higher temp still produce off flavors?

No, warmer is fine. 68 degrees is a great temperature for dryhopping!

when dry hopping is it ok to just dump the hops into the already fermented beer without a bag (also using leafs instead of pellets). then just being careful when transfer to bottling bucket? or will this screw it up with a bunch of hops in the beer?

Yes, it's fine. Like you said, just be careful when racking out of the fermenter.
Cold crashing (if you can) helps drop the debris too

ok just brewed the extract version of this today and I only got a OG 1.052. I am new to brewing so any help would be great. Is there anything I could add to boost this up next time?

ok just brewed the extract version of this today and I only got a OG 1.052. I am new to brewing so any help would be great. Is there anything I could add to boost this up next time?

Hmmm, what was your final volume? If you used the amount of extract in the recipe then you shouldn't have come up with an OG that low, unless your final volume was larger than 5 gallons...

kevinmcl1978 said:

You should of gotten a much higher reading than that either you read it wrong or you added too much water what was your final volume

I cooled everythin down and transferred the wort to my carboy and then I had to add some water to bring my final volume to 5 gallons. Swished this around and then poured some out into a measuring cup and poured this into the hydrometer flask. hydrometer was floating so i know i had plenty of wort in the flask. I do not know if my hydrometer is bad or what else could be the problem? any help would be much appreciated. if my og reading was read wrong is there any way to know what my final abv will be when complete?

No other way I know of. Did you take the reading right away? What was the temperature (if you didn't measure it just approximate)? I would try and calibrate your hydrometer. Stick it in some water and take a reading. Should be close to 1 depending on your temperature.

Of course one way is to drink a bunch of the beer and see how you feel after a few hours....:)

temp was right at 72D when i took the reading.
noticed when i put the hydrometer in water it looked to be about 1.04. that still would not get me to the expected obg of 1.07 i was shooting for. guess will just have to drink in a few weeks and see how i feel

not sure if wyeast is still selling this (I think it was only til new years.) but I have had good luck with either Wyeast 1172 or White Labs 041 for any recipe that calls for pacman.

When you used WL041 Pacific Ale yeast, did the kraeusen take a little longer to drop? I went to take a reading and drop hop last night and there was still a full krauesen left. I didn't take a reading because I wanted to see if it would drop in another day or two.

I cooled everythin down and transferred the wort to my carboy and then I had to add some water to bring my final volume to 5 gallons. Swished this around and then poured some out into a measuring cup and poured this into the hydrometer flask. hydrometer was floating so i know i had plenty of wort in the flask. I do not know if my hydrometer is bad or what else could be the problem? any help would be much appreciated. if my og reading was read wrong is there any way to know what my final abv will be when complete?

You may not have mixed the top off water and the wort thoroughly enough before you took your hydro sample. If so, your sample was likely diluted and is the reason you are getting a lower OG reading.

Only other option would be that your hydrometer is not calibrated correctly or you read it wrong...

As far as estimating your ABV, if you added the correct amount of extract as stated in the recipe, then your OG should be around 1.070-1.072 regardless of what your hydrometer says. Brewing extract should give you pretty precise gravity figures because you don't have to worry about efficiency like you do in all grain brewing.

I must not have mixed it up enough (oh well) i will know next time. I am assuming it will not qffect the beer to much since i still have to transfer again
Is there an easy way to mix it up rather than picking up a 5 gall carboy and swishing around?

Is there an easy way to mix it up rather than picking up a 5 gall carboy and swishing around?

What I do to mix the wort real good,using my glass carboy before AND after I add my yeast is,

I put a towel on my counter top to pad it, Put a solid or holed stopper with a plug in it in the carboy,

HOLD the stopper, and lay the carboy on it's side.

And basically roll the carboy back n forth on the towel.

It will mix the dickens out of your wort!

JUST DON'T LEAVE GO OF THE STOPPER !!!! I don't trust it to stay put LOL

I also use this method to clean the carboy with PBW after fermentation is over. It's kinda like a washing machine action.

:mug:

Brewed this today, my face is chapped. Got to love Wisconsin winters! Such an easy recipe, but continuous hopping means you need to be outside the whole boil, wont be doing that again in winter!

So I used my new kettle for the first time, a Polar ware 10.5 gallon SS. I guessed I would boil off 1.5 gallons, I only boiled off 1 gallon, so I have just over 5.5 gallons of wort in the fermenter. Should be perfect with all the trub.

I hit 1.073 with 5.5 gallons, so my efficiency is improving! I adjusted my barley crusher to .032" today for the first time, crush was perfect, no stuck sparge.

Only thing I am worried about is 5.5 gallons of wort in a norther brewer bucket, I think the capacity is 7 gallons. If I keep it at 62*F will I be okay? :drunk:

Can't wait to secondary and dry hop this on Feb. 1st. Thanks yooper! Change your avatar picture please! Change it back to clay!

-justin

One more thing, never had a 13.4lb grist, 45min of the mash was at 153*F, before I vorlaufed it was at 149*F. Not sure why it dropped so much in 15min. Will my beer be fairly thin? I was hoping to have a full body version of this.

That's a good volume to have in the fermenter. You'll lose alot from dry hopping. I Think you will have a nice bodied beer if most of the mash was done at 153

Went to discount liquor to get more co2 and a 6 pack 60min ipa and they dont sell DFH in wisconsin anymore, wtf!

New to this, but can't find the Amber Malt at Brewmaster warehouse. What would you recommend I substitute it with?

edit: Think i found it: Crisp Amber?

New to this, but can't find the Amber Malt at Brewmaster warehouse. What would you recommend I substitute it with?

edit: Think i found it: Crisp Amber?

You can make amber malt easily. Take 2-row and bake it on a cookie sheet (think layer) in the oven @ 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Works great and smells awesome when you are doing it.

Hopes this helps (for the next time). (My good deed for the day.)

Bottled this on the 14th and tried one last night for reference.
The amber malt is the way to go. What a great beer!
It's kinda like Arrogant Bastard meets DFH.
Quite possibly the best IPA I've ever had!

Latest posts

Back