"yeasty" taste in my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourbartender

Reaction score
Just bottles my first 5 gallon batch of mead, it's the simple honey, water and yeast recipe. When I tried the mead for the first time, it was almost like drinking liquid yeast. I don't think it's terrible but I'm not sure it's supposed to taste so much like yeast. Any suggestions on what might have happened and/or what I should do differently next time?

We're going to need more info. Exact recipe, yeast used, any gravity reading you took and how long ago it was started. Has it been racked prior to bottling? If so how many times? Was it completely clear before being bottled?

My guess would be that if it tastes yeasty then it still has yeast in it and was probably a bit early to be bottling it. If that is the case then you will probably find that the yeast eventually settles out in the bottom of the bottle, or if it's not actually finished fermenting you are also risking exploding bottles, though without more details it's hard to comment.

If fermentation is complete, you can try cold crashing it for a couple weeks and re-racking it. This should help any yeast still in suspsnsion to drop out.

I used 15lbs of clover honey, about 4 gallons of distilled water, lalvin d 47 yeast, i used yeast nutrient and energizer (no boil). I Didn't take any gravity readings, I let it age for 2 months. I racked it from the ferminting bucket to a glass carboy, and the to the bottles. I waited 2 weeks rack from the bucket to carboy and a little over 6 weeks till I bottled it. The mead was not clear when I pulled racked it. I did apply sorbate 2 days before I bottled. And I apologize for lack of knowledge/terminology, very new to this

Latest posts

Back