Wyeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellsbrat

Reaction score
Can i use wyeast nutrient in a cider without boiling, as it says to add last 10 minutes of boil.Could add to boiled sugar water if necessary to boil

Drop it in a small amount of water in a cup and bring it to a boil in the microwave. Cover to let the hot water sanitize the cup. Then add straight to the cider. If you only use a small amount of water, there is no need to cool if down before adding.

I just added it to my mead batches as needed, without microwaving, boiling, etc... Batches (all 4 of them) are coming along just fine... I will say to sanitize what's going to touch the nutrient (as much as you can)... Putting the nutrient into liquid usually makes some stay behind in whatever you put it into (hence not doing it after a couple of times)...

If you added some when you were getting the cider together, and it's already fermenting (you just want to give the yeast more nutrients) then you should be fine (your place is clean, yes?)...

I've never seen any mead makers post up sanitizing DAP when they add that to their mead (the Wyeast nutrient is almost like DAP, only you'll need to use more of the Wyeast product)...

I will say to measure the nutrient with a scale (if at all possible)... ~1-2g/gallon is usually what you're looking to add (at each addition)...

Personally, I'll keep using the Wyeast nutrient in my beer, but I'll be using DAP for any future mead batches. That includes the hard lemonade I'm planning on making now... :D

Back