TSP on borosilicate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllHoppedUp

Reaction score
I've used TSP to clean mystery gunk from second hand glass carboys before with great success . . . anyone know if it's okay to use on borosilicate flasks?

borosilicate glass can be cleaned with anything. The disposable tubes I use in lab readily hold acidic and basic media without any worries. Just like regular glass but a little more brittle.

borosilicate glass can be cleaned with anything. The disposable tubes I use in lab readily hold acidic and basic media without any worries. Just like regular glass but a little more brittle.

Borosilicate is actually stronger than regular glass, which is the reason it's used for slide guitar slides and other glass items that are held close to the human body often enough that shattering would be dangerous.

I find it very strange that the music world uses them but alas, there are reasons for everything. THe ones we use in the labs are cheap and will crack when I look at them wrong..I am a pretty ugly though. The old "regular" glass tubes were more sturdy.

I use borosilicate glass tubes at work and they do break if you look at them wrong. I have always assumed that this was a product of the chemical and temperature extremes that make them the best choice for the application to begin with.

Back