Beer Cheese Dip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatjonguy

Now with 57.93% more awesome!
Reaction score
I have tried several beer cheese dip recipes around the internet but can't seem to find the perfect one...so lets hear them!

made this a few times always used a full 12 oz of beer normally a good bodied hoppy ipa and a little more cheddar with good results

Cheddar Ale Spread

8oz cream Cheese
2 tps Dijon mustard
2 ½ cups shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
2 TBSP heavy cream
¼ tsp Tabasco Sauce
¼ tsp Salt
¼ cup Flavorful Northwest Beer (redhook)
2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
½ cup hazelnuts, lightly toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped

Combine the cream cheese, mustard, cheddar, cream, Tabasco, and salt in a food processor. Process for about 30 seconds, add the beer and continue processing until very smooth, pulse in parsley and hazelnuts until just dispersed.

Can be stored in fridge for up to 4 days. You will want to take it out an hour before serving if you do refrigerate.

Do you that recipe as a hot dip or sauce as well? I was thinking something for soft pretzels but I bet that is great on some Triscuits...

I've made this recipe with some success. Didn't use Flying Fish's beer but it's from their site so

8 ounces Cabot ® Sharp or Extra Sharp Cheddar*, grated (about 2 cups)
2 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons coarse-grained Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 bottle Flying Fish Extra Pale Ale
In food processor, combine cheese, butter, mustard and garlic. Process until smooth, about 1 minute, adding enough beer to make spread of desired consistency (around 1/4-1/3 cup...now enjoy whatever beer is left over!). Note: Spread can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 1 week.
When ready to serve, allow the spread to soften at room temperature and mound it in a bowl. Surround it with slices of interesting hearty breads like multi-grain, walnut, or rosemary.

I make more if a diping sauce
This was a recipe that can be found online made it a few times.
When I have made it I add more beer so it's a constancy of hummus or thiner and serves it with triskets or crackers. Never actually made it as a spread. I also use Coleman's English mustard rather than Dijon most of the time. This adds a good kick
I have never tried it hot but is sounds like it would work. If you try it please let me know the results

substitute a malty beer in for wine in your favorite fondue recipe, if you are so inclined. basically, taste the beer and cheese together to find a match you like, a slightly crumbly oily aged cow's cheese paired with bock or dubbel is my favorite for this, or perhaps smooth and spicy gruyere or comte with something lighter and a bit hoppy, but nothing very bitter. garlic optional, if so then halve a clove and smoosh it gently around the bottom of the cold pot, then get rid of the rest. grate the cheese and shake it with a bit of corn starch, especially if the cheese is not very smooth-melty, bring the beer to a simmer, for the amounts aim on the low side for the beer and high side for the cheese, slowly add the cheese stirring constantly until it's smooth. if you pick a cheese that refuses to melt politely you can cut it 1/2 with a mild emmentaler. cube and toast some old bread or veggies (try steamed rutabaga(us)/swede(uk) or celeriac!) and get to work on it. cider fondue is also great.

Back