Adding a draft tower to a mini fridge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absolutbmc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the process of adding a draft tower to my mini fridge. The Fridge I have is a GE wmr04bapbbb. I am nervous when it comes to drilling a hole into the top of the fridge and hitting a line. I have looked only for diagrams but haven't had much luck. Anyone have have any pointers on spots to drill or a way to identify any lines? Thanks in advance

Brian

Cut the plastic inside the fridge on the top. Then carefully scrape out the insulation. Then you will see if there is a line and can drill a smaller hole than the one you cut inside. That is what I did with my a mini fridge. I had to put the tubes to one side so they would be away from the fridge line which I would have hit had I just drilled the center where I wanted it.

How did you cover the holes you created? I would be concerned about losing the cool air. I noticed on the back of the fridge, I have this diagram. I am thinking it is a diagram of the compressor line. Can anyone confirm this? If so, it looks like the lines are along the sides and the front of the top. Any thoughts?

2012-08-05_20-24-40_390.jpg

That looks to be correct but if possible I'd see if you can remove the top and carefully remove the insulation in a small square down to the inner wall of the fridge. Generally people replace it with that spray foam stuff you can get at any home improvement store once they're done.

Better safe that sorry I say. I'd rather confirm there are no coolant lines than drill and find out the picture is wrong.

I tried to take the top off the fridge, but it looks like it is a uni-body and it doesn't looking easy to take the shell off.

I have a book marked page on my work computer where someone made a paste of something and applied it to the too of their kegerator and let it dry to expose the lines. I'll post it tomorrow when I'm back. I believe it was a Danby kegerator build if you feel like googling.

I have a book marked page on my work computer where someone made a paste of something and applied it to the too of their kegerator and let it dry to expose the lines. I'll post it tomorrow when I'm back. I believe it was a Danby kegerator build if you feel like googling.

I should have mentioned this as well.

The paste is made with vodka and corn starch and spread across the top. The parts where it drys first are where your coolant lines are.

Awesome, thank you.. I tried this (just using rubbing alcohol instead of vodka). however, it didnt seem to work, I think its because I cant take the shell off the fridge. Although I didnt watch it dry because I didn't know I had to watch it dry, I thought the past would separate.

Some if these fridges don't have lines on the top till they get to the front. My Danby, didn't, as an example

I was looking through that link at the kegarator build and saw he put a fan at the bottom of the fridge and a tube up to the tower. The guy did this to ensure cold air was getting all the way up the tower. Has anyone else done this? Is it worth the effort?

absolutbmc said:
I was looking through that link at the kegarator build and saw he put a fan at the bottom of the fridge and a tube up to the tower. The guy did this to ensure cold air was getting all the way up the tower. Has anyone else done this? Is it worth the effort?

Yes, I don't agree with his choice of fans, but yes it helps.

I found another build for this fridge. That thread should give you some instruction on what needs to be done and how safe it is. It looks like bending the evaporator is the trickiest part. There is also an instructable on this fridge as well.

Woh just saw in the instructable there was a wire for the thermostat right in the middle of where that guy drilled his hole!

Again better safe than sorry, drill the hole then dig the foam out just in case something is in there.

@dillypo, both links are great. Thanks for sending those over. My plan is to start to drill a hole (1") and not go all the way through. Just enough to take the casing off and dig out the insulation. I also like the idea of using the brass piping to help keep the tower lines cold

Back