New Bike....Husband of the Year Award...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WYOBrews

Reaction score
Just bought SWMBO this....

image-2031933062.jpg

I'm even Jealous! Damn! I think I should have free reign at the LHBS right???? Unlimited fall hunting pass too!

Nice Yeti those are sick bikes. Trying to get my wife into mountain biking but she only likes quads. Here is what I ride a 2010 trek fuel ex 6.5.

What do you ride if that is hers yours must be nice to.

image-259050780.jpg

Nice ride buddy!!! I ride a Yeti as well. It's a 575 Enduro Race custom build..I don't have a photo on my phone but it's a sweet ride! Hers is the 575 25 th anniversary bike, 1 of 250 total made. The more I think about it the more jealous I get! Just kidding! I'm just stoked I have a girl that enjoys what I do and let's me brew too! Good luck with your lady and the biking!

Nice I am hoping to trade up to a Banshee Prime when they are finally released that or a Pivot Mach 5.7 or the Trek Slash or the Banshee Spitfire or the Kona Honzo (so many to choose from) My wife is totally down with dirtbikes and motorcycles but bicycles of any kind freak her out strange. But she is totally down with my all my hobbies so I can over look this :). Post some pics when you can.

I'd love to have that Pivot 5.7! All excellent choices man! Can't wait to get out and ride. Unseasonably warm temps gave me the itch over the last week. It snowed today. F! Oh well, supposed to be 60 Wednesday!

Nice I live in Monterey right near the sea otter classic course supposed to be low 60s all week and I got the week off should be a good one.

The team colors rock.

2 yetis in this house - ASR and ASR-5 Carbon. Even the XC bikes descend great - I bet the 575s make heroes on the down.

A good friend has a bike shop right here in my local area, and he is a Yeti dealer. Leepoff Cycles if you care to check it out on FB. Over half of my riding buddies are on 575s, one is on an SB-66, and one rides an ASR-7. The rest of us call them the "Yeti Mafia". Anyways, I'm looking to go further into debt by acquiring either an ASR-5 alloy frame or an SB-66 alloy. I can already hear you all screaming at me to get the SB. That said, I am mainly an XC rider (I don't freeride hit any big drops, etc). My current bike is a 4" rear travel Titus Racer X. I'm afraid I'll have a hard time getting used to how a 6" travel bike will climb, which is why I'm interested in the ASR-5. Thoughts?

A good friend has a bike shop right here in my local area, and he is a Yeti dealer. Leepoff Cycles if you care to check it out on FB. Over half of my riding buddies are on 575s, one is on an SB-66, and one rides an ASR-7. The rest of us call them the "Yeti Mafia". Anyways, I'm looking to go further into debt by acquiring either an ASR-5 alloy frame or an SB-66 alloy. I can already hear you all screaming at me to get the SB. That said, I am mainly an XC rider (I don't freeride hit any big drops, etc). My current bike is a 4" rear travel Titus Racer X. I'm afraid I'll have a hard time getting used to how a 6" travel bike will climb, which is why I'm interested in the ASR-5. Thoughts?

Both ASRs feel a little slack in the headtube compared to my old XC hardtail. With my limited skills it's a little bit wandery on the up but I feel like a hero on the downhills. You can lock the rear out for long grinds uphill but I don't really bother. Monster climbing traction when you stomp on it over rock piles.

I don't even fantasize over other bikes now.

Yeah the ASR geometry is a trade off. Yeti's are super sick, its beautiful btw. They were one of my first bike crushes along with Rocky Mountain, Titus and Ellsworth. My first race bike was an Ellsworth Truth.....ah the memories of that baby. Bike's are my other long term hobby/sickness.

Man! It's great to see some bikers on here! Not sure I've ever noticed a mountain biking thread on HBT. You all have great taste. It would be great hook up some riding with you guys. I live in a small town but we have a pretty dedicated core. Just built my kegerator this winter. Looking foward to those after work rides and the ensuing beer socials. Good stuff men!

Kaya I say there is no such thing as to much travel. Get a six inch and just go for it. If I could I would swap my 120mm fork for a 140-150mm and just deal with the geometry changes and kill the downhills. If I had the money I would have all of the bikes I listed in my first post. But things are as they are and I am happy with my current bike and for my area of riding anything else is just to much travel. just ride and have fun since that is what it is all about.

Awesome bike!

I ride a Kona Cinder Cone... saving up for a Pivot Mach 5.7 or a Yeti ASR-5. Just can't decide. Fortunately I have pleeenty of time. lol

Mine is in the shop right now. I pick it up Friday. I'll post a show and tell when I get it back!

I rode my buddy's SB-66 tonight. F*ckin' sick bike, even though it was a medium and I should be on a small. He does however have an ASR-5 frame with a Fox RP23 for sale, size small. Goddammitall, I promised myself that I'd ride my Titus this season and next before I shopped for a new one. Now what the feck am I supposed to do?!?

I can't give up beer, that's for sure. How much does a relatively heathy kidney go for these days (fair market or black market)?:ban:

I bet bet that 66 is awesome! You are in a tough spot man! New toys are hard to resist!

I'm jealous of the wifes new ride! Mine is great though, and in excellent shape! Got it back yesterday. Here is my show and tell...
Mine...

image-2036111043.jpg

Hers....

image-2681011100.jpg

Team Yeti! Time for a ride!

Nice bikes. I have ridden my father in laws Rumblefish one. I am not a 29er are best kind of guy I like both wheel sizes but that Rumblefish is nice not as good at climbing as my trek fuel ex but one the down Hills it eats up the small trail clatter. Still love my 26er fuel ex. Got it tuned perfectly for my style of riding.

Awesome fleet, WYO! I rode today again with some friends, one is on a brand new Santa Cruz Butcher and the other on a Stumpy Evo. Sweet bikes!

I just picked up a DiamondBack Mission frame with a fox shock from a friend. I'm getting all the other parts from another friend, including brand new Fox Float for $150.00 :D

Pretty stoked!

my current ride is a clapped out STP.

Photo%20Apr%2007%2C%201%2041%2006%20PM.jpg

28 pounds. can't complain at all... Now I just have to figure out how to ride a suspension bike.

Oh I'm jealous! I used to live for Mtn Biking when I lived in Germany. I could go right out my back door and hit trails on a 3500' tall hill that once was part of a Celtic Fortress. I rode 3-4 hrs everyday. Since coming home 8 yrs ago I've fallen out of it. Only good trails are a 45 minute drive and no friends to ride with here. Still have my bike though!

KaiserBierMann said:
Oh I'm jealous! I used to live for Mtn Biking when I lived in Germany. I could go right out my back door and hit trails on a 3500' tall hill that once was part of a Celtic Fortress. I rode 3-4 hrs everyday. Since coming home 8 yrs ago I've fallen out of it. Only good trails are a 45 minute drive and no friends to ride with here. Still have my bike though!

Where you lived sounds awesome! We found a place to ride 45 minutes away from us that is a blast! The guy who built the trail came over to ride our trails for our annual Music Festival ride and clued us in on it! Now every time we are over there we see him and hit the local brewery up for beers afterward! Go for it man! 45 minutes is nothing, plus you can meet a lot of people there who share your interests! Yeah!

Photo%20Apr%2007%2C%201%2041%2006%20PM.jpg

28 pounds. can't complain at all... Now I just have to figure out how to ride a suspension bike.

There's nothing to figure out. That's the beauty of it. Point it and go!

I'm addicted to bikes...here's a few of mine.

My Niner Air 9. Cellphone pics so they dont come out to well. Its now weighing in at 18.9#'s. I added CF seatpost,Bars,tubliss and superlight XTR BB and cranks.
photo-35-1.jpg

photo-4-1.jpg

photo-33-1.jpg

photo-34-2.jpg

My CF Scott Race bike..RIP from a cracked frame.
photo-38-1.png

Heres one of my Trials bikes..
photo-8.png

Heres my BMX'ish trails bike. Its a 26" Inspired Hex. In case your wondering what trials is...CLICK HERE
photo-31-4.jpg

pj.jpg

This is what I normally ride. Suspension really messes with me unless I'm just riding along, which isn't really riding.... ;)

Ok bike pros. Wifey wants a bike for mothers day. Anybody think I can find a decent mountain bike for around $500? She doesn't need anything fancy,except maybe a good helmet. Any suggestions for a beginner bike?

Does she want a mountain bike?

Does she have people to ride with?

Is she in some kind of shape (besides round :)) now or is she a bike noob?

Are there places she can ride often with easy access?

with a $500.00 bike, get the one she's going to want to ride the most. IF that means getting a red one vs. a grey one, do it. If she really wants a comfort bike, get that. etc.
I think all the bikes at that price point are pretty much in the same league.

Helmets. Buy one at a bike shop. They are all pretty much the same. The more expensive ones have more vents and are usually lighter. But they all do their job. Same goes for a bike, get it at a bike shop. Ask them if they do free tune up's or what other goodies they'll throw in. Some shops will do free maintenance for the first six months or so. (cables/chains stretch and need minor adjustments, etc).

I like a little more suspension with my mountain bikes...

The Giant served me well until I noticed cracks running around the headtube welds. That got replaced by the Foes, and I couldn't be any happier with that frame.

IMG_6135.jpg

Bike - Foes2.jpg

pnj said:
Does she want a mountain bike?

Does she have people to ride with?

Is she in some kind of shape (besides round :)) now or is she a bike noob?

Are there places she can ride often with easy access?

with a $500.00 bike, get the one she's going to want to ride the most. IF that means getting a red one vs. a grey one, do it. If she really wants a comfort bike, get that. etc.
I think all the bikes at that price point are pretty much in the same league.

Helmets. Buy one at a bike shop. They are all pretty much the same. The more expensive ones have more vents and are usually lighter. But they all do their job. Same goes for a bike, get it at a bike shop. Ask them if they do free tune up's or what other goodies they'll throw in. Some shops will do free maintenance for the first six months or so. (cables/chains ?stretch and need minor adjustments, etc).

She wants a bike to ride on the street and some possible trails and stuff. I'm taking my brothers Cannondale, so we'll do some riding together. She's a total noob, but she's in good shape. She kickboxes, so she wants a change of pace from doing that everyday.

I like a little more suspension with my mountain bikes...

The Giant served me well until I noticed cracks running around the headtube welds. That got replaced by the Foes, and I couldn't be any happier with that frame.

Only way to get those bikes uphill is on the chairlift! I'd love a DH bike...maybe next year....

Okay guys, I just sealed the deal on a used Yeti 575! Fox Float 140mm fork, RP23 shock. I plan on swapping the XTR wheels it came with for my Easton Havocs. I also plan on swapping the XTR brakes for my brand new Maguras. I only paid $1200 for the complete bike, and with the parts swap I think I can get at least $1200-$1500 for my Titus. I'm stoked!

Not a bad deal sweet bike. I took my hard tail 26er out today not so fun on the downhill but flew up hill I just need better tires for it the nanorapters on it now suck.

Nice, my buddy has had 2 Yetis, love those bikes! This is one I miss (Azonic DS-1)... Right now I'm down to a Devinci roadie and an Access (no name brand, but nice solid frame) I built up myself. Working on another play bike, hehe.

XWe0j.jpg

I've been looking for a bike myself. I have no idea what to look for. I plan to mostly ride street.

My problem is that I'm not that serious about biking. I run a lot and just thought it might be nice to bike once in a while, mostly with the family. I've been hitting garage sales, but nothing like the bikes I had when I was a kid - everything is cheap junk. I can't do a wally world special, been there, done that, broke the pedals and various other pieces the first week (I'm about 6'1 and 190lbs).

Any suggestions on something decent, but not hard core? I ask my bike enthusiast buddies, but they always pitch some $1k something or other. Can you not buy a bike that won't break in the first year for a reasonable amount of cash anymore? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. If I could have a decent 80s style 10-speed, I'd rock it. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back