could you get sick if......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Influence

Reaction score
Just a thought based on more reading.

I was reading several posts today about backsweetening and it brought up a thought.

I've always made cider, tested every few days for flavor that I liked and then cold crashed the batch.

But...... if you're using unpasteurized cider (and you don't cook it) couldn't you get rather sick?

I'm thinking the cider would show obvious signs of something you wouldn't want to consume, but....... the thought of non-pasteurized cider, not cooked, sitting in the brew closet and then consuming could be a bit risky.

Jonathan

I believe that is the purpose of the campden tablets. It kills the bacteria in the unpasteurized cider.

Understood, but.....

Can they be pitched after the initial batch is prepared?

Jonathan

In the days before safe water supplies cider and beer were always the safest things to drink. You have a lot of things that are more likely to get you than drinking cider, unless you imbibe to excess. I like to worry about shark attacks and aneurisms, they're a lot more likely than getting sick from cider.

alcohol will knock down the e-coli, which is the main thing that will make you sick

proper sanitation practices by the press and not using windfall apples will make sure the e-coli doesnt get established in the first place.

Back