Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I have a silly question (no silly questions, just silly people)...
When we're talking about fermentation temps, we are talking about the internal temp, yes? Not the ambiant. That seems to make the most sense, but I just wanted to be 100%.

Cool. So I just got a free fridge (FREE FRIDGE!) that I intend to use for fermenting. What should I keep the temp at inside the fridge for say 68 deg fermentation? Around 63?
ps - I will be getting a thermostat controller (analog), so keeping relatively consistant temp shouldn't be an issue. thanks!

I've taped some bubble wrap to the outside of my fermenter.
I then put the controller probe into the space between the bubble wrap and the fermenter and cover the whole thing with a flannel coozie I made.

The temp in that zone is within 1*F of the temperature at the center of the fermenter. The controller then cycles the fridge based on that reading.
Close enough for me.

Cool. So I just got a free fridge (FREE FRIDGE!) that I intend to use for fermenting. What should I keep the temp at inside the fridge for say 68 deg fermentation? Around 63?
ps - I will be getting a thermostat controller (analog), so keeping relatively consistant temp shouldn't be an issue. thanks!

It's hard to tell, but you're close. You'll probably want to get some stick-on thermometers for your carboys or fermenting equipment to get an idea of what their temp is. I need to set my temp controller to 63 to keep my brews at 67. Sticking the probe to the fermenter is a good idea but it only works if you're fermenting one... I have like 4 going so I just try to average them around 67.

Back