winter time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croba50

Reaction score
the problem iam having well last year is tap freeze ups... dont wont to heat my garage . but from time to time will go out and have a draff cant beat that but if temp gets below 28 degs it freezes up :mad:

any ideas

If this is a keggerator, mount a small light bulb under the tap(s). A simple 4 watt night light would provide enough heat. Party taps would be a bit more of a problem. You could try "anti-freeze" tapes, which are low wattage wires used to keep outside faucets from freezing.

it also freezes the lines inside refrige is set to 42 degs year round .
i only have this problem when it hit below 28 Degs ...

on other fourms i was told to blead off the lines & keg and close keg off open tapper
leave line off this sounds like it will work ok but looking for other ideas.

thanks dont know if anyone ever run accross this problem before.

In that case, I'd buy two heat tapes (try your local home depot) with thermostats. One for inside the fridge and one for the taps. Haven't needed them since moving from Idaho in 1975, but they're cheap and will hold the temperature around 38F.

I remember the Illinois winters. 0F with a lake wind is worst than -40F in Idaho.

Back