Does stored grain absorb odor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtimusBeerimus

Reaction score
I want to store some grain in some cleaned and Oxycleaned frosting buckets. Problem is, I can't get rid of the frosting odor. I knew this was likely an issue going in...

The question is this: do I need to worry about the grain being negatively impacted by the frosting smell? The smell isn't over-powering, but it's noticable.

My gut tells me that longish-term grain storage probably isn't that great an idea in these buckets because the grain might absorb the odors.

Can anyone out there with any experience provide a little insight?

TYIA

I scored about 12 frosting buckets over a couple years and currently have grain stored in at least 8 or nine of them. I cleaned them in oxyclean and hot water then starsan. All of them seemed to either retain a very slight hint on the inside or maybe since I didn't clean the outside as well that some of the smell tainted my schnozz from the outside of the bucket. Either way, I have had open Maris otter and 2-row as well as specialty grains and none of my beer ever tasted like frosting. Lol. Hope that helps.

Keep in mind I'm talking a very slight hint, if it wreaked, I wouldn't do it.

Another thing is that the only thing that stored really long in my buckets are 1 or 2 pound increments of some specialty malt like black Prinz or chocolate and they are in seperate ziplocks.

Latest posts

Back