Drilling into the Keezer Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman92

Reaction score
I'm about to build a keezer out of a GE 7 cu ft chest freezer. I have two questions I need advice on before drilling. btw, I have no handyman skills whatsoever. Got a friend coming over that does, but he's never built one either so seeking some direction.

1. What is in the actual lid? Is it just insulation material or is there metal on there? Any advice on needed tools to frill the holes? I am going to add a tower so I'll need other holes for the tubing and air circulation vents.

2. If I install a drip tray with a drain, won't that leak air through the hole causing the unit to run more frequently?

The lid is typically metal on the outside, insulation inside and a plastic liner on the inside. It's the one part of a chest freezer that I'd feel comfortable drilling through.

The lid is typically metal on the outside, insulation inside and a plastic liner on the inside. It's the one part of a chest freezer that I'd feel comfortable drilling through.

Yep, I agree. I assume you want to run beer lines through the top to tower. Just buy an appropriately sized hole saw and you'll have no problems.

For running the drip tray - you want to run a hose to something. I run mine into an old 1.75l bottle that sits inside the kegerator. I check it from time to time, as you don't want to let that bad boy overflow... YUCK.

Cutting into the top is the easy part of cutting into a chest freezer.

Yep, I agree. I assume you want to run beer lines through the top to tower. Just buy an appropriately sized hole saw and you'll have no problems.

When you make your holes with the holesaw.........Put a pilot hole through the outer skin, ( metal), all the way through the inner skin, (plastic), using a drill bit of the same size as used with the hole saw, ( usually 1/4 inch).

Keep your drill and pilot hole perpendicular to the skin as you drill through both skins, ( inner and outer).

Then, use your holesaw from EACH side, ( metal skin, then plastic skin), and you'll have a lot cleaner hole.................(That's what she said!......:cross:).

Latest posts

Back