Is this a wild beer or a toxic contaminated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sculpinslayer

Reaction score
I brewed a Wit beer about 3 months ago. I used Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast. I first suspected problems when after a week I had still not seen any CO2 bubbling out of my airlock. Well after 3 months of hemming and hawing about whether or not to dump the batch down the tub, it has come time to make a decision. Should I throw this brew out or is it salvageable?

While there has been no gas production the gravity has dropped from 1.045 to 1.020. I racked the batch to a new vessel yesterday. There was a 2mm white film on the top. Not like any I have seen before (I haven't brewed with bugs yet). I gave it a taste and I does taste sour but it tastes good. About a month ago I pitched 1c of corn sugar but nothing happened.
Is this beer safe to drink?
Will it bottle condition? IF not any ideas on how to do this
Should I toss the brew down the tub? Save it to sour a future beer?

It's safe to drink. It's going to be sour (thin white film is pretty characteristic of a lacto infection), but that doesn't mean it won't be good. It should bottle condition, but it's a bad idea to bottle before it reaches a stable gravity.

To prevent future mishaps, give your carboy a good soak in PBW or Oxyclean, and replace your plastic parts.

As far as airlock activity, see my signature line.

Back