Easiest way to "digitize" recipes and brew data

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Here's my deal. I have a brew book and frankly I'm tired of writing and rewriting my recipes, data, and loggings. Is there a way to type all this up on a computer and transfer/store it onto my iPhone. I want the program to be able to go back and forth.

Hope someone out there has something for this. Thx all!!!

You can get BeerSmith for your PC and for your Iphone and use the BeerSmith Cloud to transfer between the two. I'm sure there are others as well, but this is pretty complete for the dollars spent....

I have used it but is it worth it? Is it limited to a certain number of brews. I really just am tempted to keep and email log haha. I'll look into BrewSmith again

Absolutely worth it IMO. The phone app that's currently available is limited in that you can't create recipe's with it, but you can pull them up from your cloud folder to have handy (including timers) while you're brewing. As for the desktop version, the sky's the limit. There are a ton of recipe's on the BS site, but you can also enter your own from scratch.

It's only ~$20.00. It's worth every penny! Once you get the paid version, you're not limited to number of recipes.

Beersmith is the best way to store recipes digitally, but it's so "complete" that it's not so simple to master any more. The older versions were more intuitive.

A simple way to keep data such as recipes, etc, synchronized with your phone is Evernote. It's a good app for making notes and keeping them synchronized between your PCs and mobile devices.

A simple way to keep data such as recipes, etc, synchronized with your phone is Evernote. It's a good app for making notes and keeping them synchronized between your PCs and mobile devices.

Microsoft's OneNote is very good for this too. I really like the organization of it. I use it extensively at work for tracking meetings and small projects.

I have BeerSmith and I agree it has a slight learning curve. I learned the most by taking a known recipe (with metrics) and trying to get it to look the same in BeerSmith. I generally am right on now - last batch of beer was within 1.001 OG. I recommend the software if that's what you want, but if all you want is digital notes then a different solution is better.

What about just making or finding an excel sheet, custom to what you want and need. I've seen people post them on here and elsewhere. Email it , save it, print it.

There is an app called Brew Pal that can sync to Cloud. You can print the recipes and email them. And the app is free! I'd at least look at it. There are a few apps out there.

I use a Mac so I have BeerAlchemy. I have a copy on my main computer and a copy on my iPad. I use theiPad on brew days to take notes, any changes etc. They then synch via wireless.

I guess "notes" was a wrong term. I just got iBrewMaster. I like the interface, ease of use, and the ability to share across media formats. I agree with the comments on BrewSmith. It can be a daunting app for a beginner. I have also used BrewPal and disliked it after they updated it to a format that worse than the one before.

I think iBrewMaster may be what I need. Thx for the input from all.

Back