FWH Too Late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
I just made a beer with FWH. The problem is that I didn't add the FWH until the kettle was almost full and almost boiling.

Does that make it essentially the same as a 60 minute addition? I was hoping for a bit of aroma and flavor from the pre-boil portion of the hop contact, but that period was very short and hot, so I'm not expecting much hop flavor or aroma.

You really would get little aroma or flavor from fwh, just like you get little from the 60 minute boil addition anyway. All the volatile esters that go in to flavor and aroma boil off. Fwh is really just a bitterness addition.

Also, the hot break can bind some of the bittering compounds, so you lose IBUs as well.

You really would get little aroma or flavor from fwh, just like you get little from the 60 minute boil addition anyway. All the volatile esters that go in to flavor and aroma boil off. Fwh is really just a bitterness addition.

is this a fact?

i thought the whole purpose of FWH was flavor/aroma, similar to a 20min addition

I was counting on losing IBU, but I also thought FWH was to add flavor and aroma in addition to smooth bittering. But I have to believe Revvy. I guess we'll see how it comes out...

Back