Late extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
My mini mash recipe calls for 5 #'s of wheat extract. Can I add 1/2 of this later in the boil and have the beer come out lighter in color?

I generally do one pound at 60 and the rest at 15 minutes. Although in doing so you are going to get better hop utilization and your beer may be more bitter than expected. Not a bad thing in my opinion but it depends on the style too.

Crap...Sorry to hijack this thread, but I did this on my hefe this weekend. The directions were .75 oz of Spaaz at 60 mins and .25 oz of Spaaz at 15 mins for a 2.5 gallon boil. I did a full boil with a 25/75 late extract addition, but used all of the hops as directed. I can't imagine that 1/4 ounce of additional hops would effect it that much, or would it? Say it ain't so mo...:(

Crap...Sorry to hijack this thread, but I did this on my hefe this weekend. The directions were .75 oz of Spaaz at 60 mins and .25 oz of Spaaz at 15 mins for a 2.5 gallon boil. I did a full boil with a 25/75 late extract addition, but used all of the hops as directed. I can't imagine that 1/4 ounce of additional hops would effect it that much, or would it? Say it ain't so mo...:(
For the most part you should try to maintain a 1:1 ratio of malt to gals of water. This results in a normal range 1.040 brew (during the boil).

Spaaz hops!!! That's a good one. Actually, it's Saaz. The .75 oz doesn't mean much to me. I use AAs. For my batches I only use 3AAs in 1.5 gal water and 1 - 1.5 lbs of malt, boil 45 mins add remaining malt and steep for 15 mins.

HWs don't use any other hops than bittering.

For your 2.5 gals I probably would have used 2 lbs of malt and 3AAs of hops, boiled 45 mins remove from heat, add remaining malts and steep for 15. :D

Latest posts

Back