First lager tastes like feet before lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remuS

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been doing ales for about 35 batches now, did may first lager with WLP833 German Bock. Made a large starter and fermented at 50 degrees. After 9 days I did a d-rest at about 63 degrees for 2.5 days. Tonight I put it in a keg for lagering and it tasted pretty bad, like what a runners sock would taste like.

I'm hoping this is a 'welcome to lagering' post. It s pretty cloudy when I tasted it and the yeast put off some sulfur like smells. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sulfur aroma is perfectly normal. As far as the taste, you give a highly subjective description, so I can't definitely say all is well, but it probably is. My lagers are decent going into their nap, not perfect, but I've never felt the need to describe one as dirty sock. Maybe someone else can clarify better.

Can you post more about the recipe you used?

i have some experience with 833, and didnt like it as much as their south german lager, or even Saflager 34/70.

As far as being cloudy goes, dont worry too much. Lagering for a month or two should fix that. and if it doesnt, gelatin will.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Recipe was:
7# Pilsner malt
5# Vienna malt
3# Munich malt

2oz hallertau mittelfrueh @ 60
1oz hallertau @ 30

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I only did a 60 minute boil and read up on Pilsner malt as well as DMS. The description is about right... sad. Ill lager it for a month or two and see how it goes.

Good lesson regardless if I have to toss it.

Thanks!

SouthBay said:
That may be it. Pils = high DMS = need longer boil time.

or, did you put your feet in the mash for some reason? if so, that may be why it tastes foot-like.

Haha. You don't crush your grain with your feet?

Latest posts

Back