High-temp tubing for wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I purchased a 25' wort chiller a few months ago, and after a couple AG brews I realize that the ends are a couple inches too short, being completely submerged in the wort. Not a problem until you factor in the tubing connected, which is not rated for high temps, and will melt/deteriorate/make my brew taste funky, forcing me to try to hold up the chiller in the wort for the duration of the chilling.

Is there an inexpensive tubing that can hold up to being sanitized in the boil? I found some nylon tubing at McMaster-Carr, but it's over $5 per foot.

Thanks in advance.

Look for food-grade silicone rubber tubing. I picked up 25' of it at McMaster Carr for less than a buck a foot. A lot of the big online homebrew stores sell it too.

Not trying to be a smart-a**, but can't you stretch out your chiller enough to bring it up yo an acceptable height?

You can also buy silicone tubing by the foot from many of the online homebrew retailers, like northern brewer, austin homebrew, morebeer, etc.

Thanks for all the replies.

sigmund said:
Not trying to be a smart-a**, but can't you stretch out your chiller enough to bring it up yo an acceptable height?
Not without having to bend the bottom of the chiller to make that stem longer. It's kinda short.

Bobby_M said:
How about sweating on a little more copper tubing?
Onions, carrots, and celery I can sweat...copper....um...

I think I found something that will work. McMaster-Carr has Santoprene, rated up to 275°, and is FDA-rated. And it's only 61¢ per foot.

Latest posts

Back