Need recipe advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
I am going to brew a cranberry wheat beer.
The recipe is based on what I was able to get my hands on.
6lbs Muntons plain wheat DME (add at beginning of boil)
2lbs Briess Bavarian wheat DME ( add at 40 minutes)
Irish moss 1 tsp at 45 min.
Mt Hood 1 oz, at beginning of boil
Mt hood 1/2 oz. last 5 minutes
2 quarts R.W. Knudson just cranberry juice added in secondary.

3 gallon boil, cool, top up to 5 gallons in fermentation bucket.
Pitch yeast. I am using safbrew wb-06, I bought 2 sachets because I am unsure of what the OG will be and haven't figured out how to use beersmith yet.
Any idea what to expect for O.G. and is one pack of yeast enough or should I pitch 2 ?
Thanks for any help.
PS: I went a bit heavy on the DME figuring the dilution of the juice plus the natural bitterness in cranberry juice.

DME has about 45 gravity points per pound. So, 45 * 8 = 360 total gravity points. Divided by 5 gallons = 360 / 5 = 72, or 1.072 OG.

Adding the juice will also increase the gravity due to the sugar content, I'm not sure of the exact contribution to gravity this will have.

To calculate yeast pitching rate, I recommend using an online calculator like mrmalty.com, or yeastcalc.com.

PS: I went a bit heavy on the DME figuring the dilution of the juice plus the natural bitterness in cranberry juice.

Maybe go the other direction? Like mentioned, the juice will add fermentables, and 1.072 may be a little high to begin with for a cranberry wheat.

Maybe go the other direction? Like mentioned, the juice will add fermentables, and 1.072 may be a little high to begin with for a cranberry wheat.

I know, I have been thinking the same thing.
If I cut the plain wheat in half and still use the Bavarian wheat I will be at about 1.045 the juice additions will boost the final ABV, know idea how much but I guess I will find out.
Also, at 1.045 I know I will be good with 1 yeast packet as well :)

menerdari said:
I am going to brew a cranberry wheat beer.
The recipe is based on what I was able to get my hands on.
6lbs Muntons plain wheat DME (add at beginning of boil)
2lbs Briess Bavarian wheat DME ( add at 40 minutes)
Irish moss 1 tsp at 45 min.
Mt Hood 1 oz, at beginning of boil
Mt hood 1/2 oz. last 5 minutes
2 quarts R.W. Knudson just cranberry juice added in secondary.

3 gallon boil, cool, top up to 5 gallons in fermentation bucket.
Pitch yeast. I am using safbrew wb-06, I bought 2 sachets because I am unsure of what the OG will be and haven't figured out how to use beersmith yet.
Any idea what to expect for O.G. and is one pack of yeast enough or should I pitch 2 ?
Thanks for any help.

Set up your equipment profile in BS- you can choose the default 5gal extract/partial boil set up.

Add your recipe and select proper style and you'll get all your desired gravitates.

IMO you should add only half the extract at the big inning of the boil and the rest between 30-15 minutes. This will prevent excessive carmelization and keep the color lighter. Also be sure to add the extract with the flame low or off heat so you don't scorch and stir well!

Back