Vacation: Amsterdam, Munich, Prague

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceetar

Reaction score
I don't imagine I'll have trouble figuring out where to drink in any of these European cities, but anyone have any cool suggestions of breweries or beer halls to check out? Is it bad not to go to Heineken?

Hitting Munich/Oktoberfest in the middle of it.

Actually one recommendation, not beer related, but the Bols Experience in Amsterdam: it was awesome! You get like 4 shots of any of their products, including cask aged Geniever, which was really nice, and on friday's it's only 7 euro pp. It was fun and interesting, highly recommend!

Thanks. :) Some good stuff in that other thread too.

The crux of the trip is Germany, unfortunately only have ~3 days in Amsterdam. Starting to really think that's going to be a tease.

That House of Bols thing looks interesting too.

I live in Amsterdam, I'm not really a museum goer, but I have some suggestions for you....
Night life -
Goto Leidseplein, there are lots of pubs over there (my favourite is the Irish Pub). If you want to goto a club, the 2 best ones are 'Jimmy Woo' and 'Club Air'.
If you enjoy cocktails and you're looking for a nice place to bring a girl to then I highly recommend 'Door 74', they make the BEST cocktails and their service is EXCEPTIONAL. Before you go you have to make reservation 'on that same day you're going', call this number +31634045122, leave a message and your number and they will call you back to confirm your reservation (can take hours before they call you). Their address is: Reguliersdwarsstraat 74 (Very close to Rembrantplein).

Now for a microbrewery, I only know of one, its called 'Brouwerij ’t IJ'. They're opened from 14.00-20.00 and if I remember correctly, they also have a tour of their, but only on fri-sun and only at 15.30-16.00. Address: Funenkade 7, 1018 Binnenstad

If you have any more questions you can always post here or PM me! Enjoy your stay here!!

In Amsterdam there is three beer bars that I can recomend: The Arendsnest (dutch beer), the Beer Temple same owner and specialized in american beer and one that wasn´t mentioned but it is great In de Wildeman. There is another called Golem but it think the owner was involved in some kind of drugdealing and now it´s closed. There is two breweries inside Amsterdam, the one mentioned ´t Ij wich is seems very popular with locals (and the cheapest beer that i got in Amsterdam) beers are not very impressive but the atmosphere it´s great and it´s crowded, they offer free tours on saturdays if I remember correctly. The other brewery it´s de Prael in the middle of the old town. Distance are short I will strongly recommend going to Bodegraven and visiting De Molen.
Try the local craft beers and stay away from Heineken. Jopen makes good brews and Emelisse it´s great also as cited above De Molen.
If your looking to buy bottles to take with you the Bierkoning it´s small but with a great variety.
And it´s not only about weed prostitues and beer Amsterdam haves great museums like the Van Gogh museum and the Rijksmuseum they are a must.

MichaelBD said:
Wow! Never heard of de Prael before and it looks nice! I'm gonna try it out today!

deprael.nl if you don't look to carefully you'll miss it they've open a tasting room last year

deprael.nl if you don't look to carefully you'll miss it they've open a tasting room last year

Looks like a good choice (although the website is randomly not loading for me as I click around it) Good posters:

BDP_poster_Heintje_A2-250x353.jpg

Obliviousbrew said:
And it´s not only about weed prostitues and beer Amsterdam haves great museums like the Van Gogh museum and the Rijksmuseum they are a must.

it's not? damn! (I'll be with my wife anyway. and I've never smoked so I'm not sure I want to try it for the first time on vacation and risk wasting half a day of my trip in a stupor)

Definitely have to check out Van Gogh though.

Night life -
Goto Leidseplein, there are lots of pubs over there (my favourite is the Irish Pub). If you want to goto a club, the 2 best ones are 'Jimmy Woo' and 'Club Air'.
If you enjoy cocktails and you're looking for a nice place to bring a girl to then I highly recommend 'Door 74', they make the BEST cocktails and their service is EXCEPTIONAL. Before you go you have to make reservation 'on that same day you're going', call this number +31634045122, leave a message and your number and they will call you back to confirm your reservation (can take hours before they call you). Their address is: Reguliersdwarsstraat 74 (Very close to Rembrantplein).

Oooh. sneaky. Sounds like a couple of the 'secret' cocktail lounges in Manhattan.

Good suggestions, thanks. :-D

In Munich, drop by the Hofbrauhaus for the cheesiness of it all (it's still pretty fun) but for good beer go to the Augustiner Keller.

In Prague, U Flecku is their version of the Hofbrauhaus, fairly touristy but it was fun.

In Munich, drop by the Hofbrauhaus for the cheesiness of it all (it's still pretty fun) but for good beer go to the Augustiner Keller.

In Prague, U Flecku is their version of the Hofbrauhaus, fairly touristy but it was fun.

hey, I am a tourist so I might as well be cheesy right?

Back