Help converting recpie to first all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShake

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I've got my ESB that I call EFB (English Fuggles Bitter) that is an amazing brew that I've done more than once.

I'm wanting to do 2 things on my next brew.

1. First 10 gallon batch
2. First All-Grain batch

The 10 gallon part is easy, I already use a keggle

The Recpie, however, is not as easy, heres the Extract Recpie:

6lb DME
1lb 6l Crystal (steeped)
.1lb Black Patent (Steeped)
2oz Fuggles @ 60min
2oz Fuggles @ 15min
Safale 05

Suggestions on converting this to a tasty all-grain brew? I also still need to get together a mash tun, so I'll be heading out to find the appropriate cooler and parts, but thats another thread in another area.

I also still need to get together a mash tun, so I'll be heading out to find the appropriate cooler and parts, but thats A SEARCH IN THE DIY AREA

Fixed it for you.

Do you have any brew software? I'll run this through Beersmith and see what I come up with.

Assuming the recipe you posted was for 5 Gallons, this is what Beersmith gave me.

AG you grain bill changes to this for 5G
8lbs 8.5oz Pale Ale Malt (2Row)
1lb 4.5oz Crystal 60
2.1oz Black Patent
Hops are the same

Now for 10 Gallon
17lbs 1oz Pale Ale Malt (2Row)
2lbs 9oz Crystal 60
4.1oz Black Patent
4.04oz Fuggles for each addition. Times the same.

I first entered recipe as you posted an an extract recipe. Then converted to AG, then scaled up to 10G. This is assuming my brewery info such as boil off and what not and 75% BH Efficiency.

Awesome... My software (qbrew) doesn't do those conversions... at least I've never gotten it do so.

And not to be picky.. but was the "Search DIY" comment really necessary.. this isn't my first rodeo.

try beersmith- it took me about two minutes to decide to switch from promash

also- that brewers best red ale kit is pretty damn good- i added dry hops and some carmelized sugar to it and called it 'dry hopped imp red' and it was my first big hit brew- really good stuff

Yea, We have REALLY enjoyed that red kit!!

I'd love to switch to beersmith.... but I don't run windows, and beersmith and linux don't mix as I understand it.

Latest posts

Back