Too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
What would happen if i added more yeast than a recipe called for? Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to this? I'm more curious than anything

What NordeastBrewer77 said so eloquently said could also be described said is a couple of sentences. Such as:

Don't worry about what the recipe says for yeast, go off the science of it, calculate how much yeast you need and pitch that amount. Under pitching = too many esters and the possibility of stuck brews (high FG), high fusel alcohols and increased risk of infection.

Over pitching results in reduced esters as required by style, generally accepted as less of a problem and usually only done by home brewers when they pitch directly on to a yeast cake from a previous brew. Otherwise a non-issue.

Many recipes (not on this site so much but rather one at homebrew shops) say hydrate a packet of yeast and pitch.... hmmm they could sell more stuff if they encourage correct pitching rates, I still don't know why they don't push that angle. I would only pay attention to a recipe's recommendation about yeast pitch rates if it said something like, "attempting to get an increased ester profile so intentionally pitch 80% of ideal pitch rate".

Clem

Thanks. There was a mountain of great information on that site. Yep "the more I learn, the less I know" LOL

Oh for sure!! One of my favorite things about brewing is that it's a constant learning experience. :mug:

If you're into the science-y side of things, the book "Yeast......" by Jamil Z and Chris White is a great read on yeast.

What NordeastBrewer77 said so eloquently said could also be described said is a couple of sentences.
:rolleyes:

I respectfully disagree. There's volumes of information on yeast health, pitch rates, etc. One would be hard pressed to gather everything they needed to know about the proper use of brewers yeast from your 'couple of sentences'. Not saying you're incorrect, but some people aren't satisfied with a basic statement of fact, they want to see or learn 'why?'......

Back