Suggestions wanted for lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twtr25

Reaction score
To my knowledge, I don't have the ability to do any lagering because I do not have the ability to ferment at lager temperatures.

What are my options if I'm wanting to do a lager, if I have any options at all? I only have the ability to ferment at ale temps currently.

Brew an extremely light ale like a very light blonde ale, use lager ingredients but a very low flavored ale yeast. You can actually lager an ale, lagering is just storing the beer at near freezing temps after primary fermentation is complete.

To my knowledge, I don't have the ability to do any lagering because I do not have the ability to ferment at lager temperatures.

What are my options if I'm wanting to do a lager, if I have any options at all? I only have the ability to ferment at ale temps currently.

Sorry but if you cannot provide the right fermentation temperatures and lagering temperatures you cannot do a lager. As has been already suggested you can use whatever lager recipe you like, ferment with one of the cleaner ale yeast strains and give the beer at least some cold conditioning time. This will keep the ester production to a minimum but, alas, the beer will never taste quite like a true lager.

Check out Brewing TV they just did an episode on fermenting lager recipes with ale yeast and lager yeast at higher temperatures. I don't think you will win any awards but it looks like you can still make some good beer.

Back