chocolate liqueur at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
Thinking about creating a chocolate-cherry stout recipe for xmas. I've seen a lot of threads on here about that style... but thought I'd start a new one and ask if anyone has advice on using chocolate liqueur at bottling to add chocolate flavor.

Brands? How much to add? Thanks.

Maybe I'll buy a few commercial stouts and slowly add chocolate liqueur to them until the flavor seems right, then scale that up to 5 gallons.

If it helps, I find most chocolate beers uninteresting, with the exception of Rogue Chocolate Stout, which I find amazing - or at least I did 2 years ago when last had one...

Thanks for the advice.

Chocolate Liqueur has sugar in it, and it's fermentable. You could probably use it to prime with, but I think it would be tricky to figure out how much to use without making bottle bombs. You would be better off using chocolate extract at bottling. I've used chocolate extract from AustinHomebrew with success before...

Chocolate Liqueur has sugar in it, and it's fermentable. You could probably use it to prime with, but I think it would be tricky to figure out how much to use without making bottle bombs. You would be better off using chocolate extract at bottling. I've used chocolate extract from AustinHomebrew with success before...

Huh. I guess that should be obvious to me but for some reason I never thought of that. I could have sworn I saw recipes calling for it at bottling.

Ok, let me re-ask the question:

Do any of you recommend choolate liqeuer in the primary/secondary over using cacao nibs, vs using chocolate extract?

Thanks!

I've used Chocolate Liqueur in the secondary before. Obviously it's starts up fermentation again. That batch also had cocoa powder in it. I wasn't real happy with the results. If I were to make that beer again I would use nibs or extract...

Back