• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Two 28 gallon Italian kettles w/ false bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forceten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Update March 9: The used kettle/fb/top is sold and the extra FB is sold and shipped. Remaining is the new 28 gallon Italian kettle w/ False Bottom and Top for $300+shipping.

---

I have two extra kettles that I am not going to use. These are the 28 gallon "Italian kettles" that were sold by Northern Brewer (and others) up until a couple of years ago.

One is brand new and still has plastic wrapping and the other was used just once.

New the kettle was $281.99 and the false bottom $68.99 extra for a 350.98 total.

For the brand new one I'd take $300.00 obo plus shipping and for the once-used one I'd take $250 obo plus shipping. These kettles are a great value for those looking to move up to all-grain and/or larger batches.

If you're in the Northern NJ area a pick up can be arranged.

I'm definitely interested in these (one, if not both). I'm unfamiliar with the Italian kettles, though. Do they have any accessories (ball-valve, thermometer, sight gauge, etc.)? I'd also love some pics if you have them.

How foolish of me! Yes, they have two 1/2" NPT ports that I used for thermometer and valve for the one I used once (but those aren't included). No sight glass on these.

I will post pictures shortly when I return home!

New 28 gal kettle (never used or even unwrapped):
newkettle1s.jpg

Once used 28 gal kettle (Only used as boil kettle once):
usedkettle1s.jpg

New false bottoms (there are two of these; neither were used):
falsebottoms.jpg

Not sure. I'm going to assume 25-50 range. Never shipped anything out like that and it'd have to be packed in a way that would prevent any damage.

Maltose asked above about the false bottom, so if you wanted the pot w/o the FB and he was interested in the FB that would suit.

PangaeaBeerFood was interested too.

I think we can setup a nice arrangement for everyone here.

I'll take one kettle and false bottom, local pickup. Then Maltose and rsklhm10 can split the other kettle and false bottom and forceten succesfully sells everything. Win, win, win, win.

Do you guys have any preference between the new or used kettle? I'm flexible.

Maltose can take the FB for the kettle you want, rsklhm10.

Do you prefer the new or once-used kettle? Pangaea is willing to take either.

Pangaea picked up the used kettle today.

I still have the brand new 28 gal kettle + false bottom & top ($300).

I also happily have an extra new false bottom it appears - $60 for that alone.

Let me know if you guys are still interested.

No problem. Fits perfectly snug in the bottom of the Italian kettle but I'm not sure what other products it suits.

Thanks for getting back.

Top lip of the kettle was 19.5" - I should measure the internal diam - FB is about 18 3/4" and fits perfectly within this kettle.

Might be interested in the FB.
Can you give me a shipping quote to 24477.
Also would you mind a pic from the top of the FB and letting me know exact width.
Sorry to ask so many questions and requests.
Thanks,
Jeff

It's about 18.75" - measures between 18.6 and 18.75".

Shipping to Stuarts Draft, VA would be about $12-13 via UPS (incl packaging)

falsebottom1s.jpg

falsebottom2s.jpg

falsebottom3s.jpg

No, it's flat. Trick of the light or the coloration of the mesh but it's definitely not bent - you see the edge close up in the 2nd shot there. It does oddly look like that.

I was over there today picking through his stuff and could attest to the fact that the kettle and false bottom for sale were in flawless condition, not a scratch on them, and certainly not bent. I went with the used set just because it was also in pretty perfect condition, but was a bit cheaper.

Update: the used pot/fb/top is sold, and the extra FB is now sold and shipped out.

Still have the new pot/fb/top for sale. $300 + shipping.

Still cannot quite make my mind up on this... Would you consider selling just the pot and lid without FB?

Also, I have never seen one of these in person. Any idea on the thickness/quality of the stainless? Obviously it is not as thick as a keg, but is it similar to that of a blichmann possibly? Does it seem to dent easily? Let me know.

I'd prefer to sell them all together. I was basically throwing in the FB as it is anyway, since the pot is brand new I don't know if I'd want to discount it any further.

Quality is very good but the thickness is less than a Blichmann but not sure the measurements. I haven't tried to purposely dent it :) Note that the Blichmann of similar size for the same size batch is twice the price, though.

I maybe interested, can you give me a shipping quote to 08230, or better yet are you ever in south jersey lol

Forceten:
Received the FB. Looks great. Already taken it to the waterjet cutter who traded me for beer. Worked out great. Thanks again!

jblizz: I'll try to get you a quote ASAP. Gotta weigh the thing. Honestly it's probably easier if you just drive up to get it :) I'm not far off the parkway. Could even meet you at a rest stop.

chutra: Awesome! Glad to hear it!

and while I rarely get down where you're at, I just was last weekend for a bachelor party in AC and my wife was down two weeks ago... bad timing :)

Back