Steeping grains in a muslin sock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used muslin bags for steeping grain in a few of my batches with no ill effects, and I used them for hops for once, and I saw no difference in the clarity of my beer. However, I have only used hop pellets, and I have read on here that if you use whole leaf hops to use the bags.

I always use a sock for my steeping grains. I can't imagine the hell of getting them out otherwise, you use so many less hops than you use steeping grains that straining them out either by racking or straining seems much easier.

When I use steeping grains I use the muslin bag. You will need to get all the grain out of the wort before boiling. If you don't use the bag you will need to strain them out somehow.

I use a paint strainer bag to contain the hop residue also. Especially if using large amounts of hops. I don't like to lose too much beer in the trub.

For both bags, keep them loose so that the wort can flow through easily.

I just use the same bag. Once I'm done with the grains, I dump them out and thoroughly rinse off the bag and use it for all my hops additions. I've not had any problems. I hate straining stuff.

The muslin bags are great for steeping or biab partial mash. Or when using whole leaf hops. The raw hops greater volume at the same 1oz of weight makes it necessary. I save all the grain & hop sacks I get with kits. Turn'em inside out to empty,& rinse well under the tap. Then I boil them for a short time to get the heavier stains/grainy stuff out of them. Then into an airtight tupperware container covered with PBW for a week or until they look white again. I've got some I've used for 2 years that still look new.

Back