Saving oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dry them out on a rack for a couple days, then toss them into a ziploc baggie. Seems to work alright, but I am moving towards keeping a "house" culture going because I’m not sure how long the various microbes will survive dried onto the wood.

You aren't worried about contaminating them with whatever other yeasties and bugs are floating about your house? What about storing them in a sealed jar with a low gravity wort in the fridge?

Call it a house character, I've never had any "off" flavors from doing it this way. You coudl certainly store them in wort, but the bugs will keep working. This isn't a big deal, but certain microbes will do better/worse at those temps (bacteria tend to need warmer conditions than Brett).

I have always done the same store dry in a ziplock but the problem now is I have several random ziplocks that I never got around to labeling. So I guess I will just soak them in water and use them to smoke on the grill.

Back