Would longer mash time have increased my efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mashed in with a target temp on a APA today with 150°. After 75 minutes it was 148°. I ended up with a 62% efficiency (I know I know, it could be the size of the mill, other things). However, had I increased my mash to 90 minutes done anything for my efficiency, or has the law of diminishing returns royally kicked in by then?

In general, lower mash temperatures and longer mashes tend to be more fermentable and will give a thinner, drier result than a higher temp and shorter mash.

If you mash longer than it takes to convert, there will be no increase in efficiency, but the wort will be more fermentable. Are you doing any iodine starch conversion testing?

I do not. I suppose I should.

I don't any more, but I did for a few. I always had conversion by 40 minutes. Leaving it for 60 minutes is more of a safeguard, I think.

I don't recall all of the science, but a longer, thinner mash at a lower temperature favors a lighter bodied more fermentable beer. A shorter, thicker mash at a higher temperature gives you a more dextrinous, less fermentable wort.

I would say you mashed long enough to get a full starch conversion. The 62% efficiency makes me think your mill is not set close enough, or you are using water that is making the mash ph way out of range thereby making the efficiency low. Where are you milling your grains the LHBS or on your own mill? When I bought my own Barley Crusher my efficiency jumped from about 65% to 75% using factory settings.

Sorry to Hijack the thread, but... If I let my mash sit for about 2 hours, plus or minus 15 minutes, would it hurt the beer. I mean is there any threat of it beginning to sour or anything? My mash tun holds temp really well. I'll be mashing at 1.5 qt/lbs, at 152 degrees. I want to go to my friends house for the US soccer match but i want to get a brew in and this is the only way I can think of that will permit me time for both. A thinner beer may actually be a very good thing in this case so I'm not worried about that.

I start heating my sparge water at about 45min which generally gives me a 75min mash, I have let a mash sit for 4 hours (had to leave one once) I didn't notice any difference in the final product.

It could if you have a coarse crush, mash at low temperatures, have a thin mash, or use malts without much diastatic power.

-a.

Back