What was I thinking!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbi

Reaction score
I made my first all grain batch of a tweaked Obsidan Stout clone, everything went great til the end. I boiled off to much and was left with 4 gallons, so I decided to run what I had left of my sparge water through my mash to bring it up to 5 gallons. Well the problem was the temp was still over 100 degrees and I had just cooled my wort down to around 70 degrees. Now I'm sitting at 85 degrees in my primary, I took my og rating 1.083 before I added the warmer temp. I did an Ice bath to get down to 79 degrees and pitched my yeast. what am I to expect? did I screw up the og rating?

I'm no pro and not too worried, It all turns out great tasting in the end!

any comments would be great! If you need the recipe I have that avail.

Yes the addition of the extra water will change your OG, but as you said nothing to worry about. Also you don't have to pitch the yeast right away so you could have waited for the temp to come down some more.

I had a lot going on that day, First I didn't have the right hose connection to hook up to my water filter (sprayed water through out my whole garage), then I had to setup my new 15 gal kettle with a valve (didn't know the water levels had to pre-measure), plus many more little things that added up, it was all new. I think I managed pretty well, didn't sit down once for 4 hours, but I know I can improve on the time next time!

1-week out and everything has fermented well! I will take a gravity reading and see how we are doing!

Gotta love messing things up and making them yours! My own personal stamp!

:tank:

I have pictures!

IMG_3765_zpsbe725ed6.jpg

IMG_3770_zps09c27771.jpg

IMG_3774_zps5d1b7eff.jpg

IMG_3775_zps70a4f46f.jpg

IMG_3778_zps466fea55.jpg

IMG_3796_zps06432cbc.jpg

Sounds like you didn't boil your last runoff prior to adding it to the original 4 gal. I've done worse and gotten away with it, hope it works out, probably will. It really is amazing what mistakes can be made and still come out with good beer. Also, as previously noted, get the temp down a bit more before adding the yeast next time. Good idea to have a check list for the first 10-20 brews. Good luck...

Sounds like you didn't boil your last runoff prior to adding it to the original 4 gal. I've done worse and gotten away with it, hope it works out, probably will. It really is amazing what mistakes can be made and still come out with good beer. Also, as previously noted, get the temp down a bit more before adding the yeast next time. Good idea to have a check list for the first 10-20 brews. Good luck...

Yeah your right, I figured if I'm going to add water to bring it up to 5 gals, why not run it through the grain one more time. Normally in the past I have never had to add water, but I figured what the hell I can chalk it up to my first try.

This is one of my favorite recipes that always turns out great, no matter how I try to screw it up! :)

The hardest thing to do is make a bad batch of beer!

You are definitely running the risk of creating a new "sour" stout. Grain is not sterile. In fact, it is loaded with yeast and bacteria. You might luck out and have no issue, but I certainly wouldn't make that part of your normal brewing routine. It might be hard to ruin a batch of beer, but ignoring sanitizing routines is one way to do it.

Having a bunch of children pre-chewing your yeasts before pitching is another way.

You can thank me for my valuable contribution now.

(btw, nice brew stand)

That's good to know, now if I have an off flavor I will know why!

Well I have 4 more carboys, better geta practicing,

Thanks for your help!

Hey Everyone,

I'm bring this thread back because 1, This Stout turned out to be the best Stout I have ever tried/made, and 2 I have not been able to duplicate.

Funny that my first all grain turned out to be the best so far! I did a half arsed fly sparge that only lasted maybe 1/2 hour, and I messed up a few other things.

Now I can't make it again! My swmbo (which also ain't working out) is challenging me and saying I can't do it again! Well so far she is right, darn woman!

The next batch didn't even come close to the first, it lacked the full body of the grain, you can tell the potential was there but never really reached it.

the third time, I did a full 1-hour fly sparge, now 2 weeks away from kegging, I have high hopes! I hit my OG at 1.067 but the yeast seamed to be lack luster, I will know more when I do a hydrometer reading.

Does anyone have any idea's? My goal is to produce the same great tasting beer over and over!

If you need more info let me know and I will try to answer the best I can.

Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

I'm bring this thread back because 1, This Stout turned out to be the best Stout I have ever tried/made, and 2 I have not been able to duplicate.

Funny that my first all grain turned out to be the best so far! I did a half arsed fly sparge that only lasted maybe 1/2 hour, and I messed up a few other things.

Now I can't make it again! My swmbo (which also ain't working out) is challenging me and saying I can't do it again! Well so far she is right, darn woman!

The next batch didn't even come close to the first, it lacked the full body of the grain, you can tell the potential was there but never really reached it.

the third time, I did a full 1-hour fly sparge, now 2 weeks away from kegging, I have high hopes! I hit my OG at 1.067 but the yeast seamed to be lack luster, I will know more when I do a hydrometer reading.

Does anyone have any idea's? My goal is to produce the same great tasting beer over and over!

If you need more info let me know and I will try to answer the best I can.

Thanks!
Well do exactly what you did the first time with the exact same ingredients, and hope for the best.:tank::mug:

Well do exactly what you did the first time with the exact same ingredients, and hope for the best.:tank::mug:

Sounds like you need to do another half-arsed sparging, boil off too much, replace it with more sparging and then pitch your yeast at 79F, cool to original fermentation temp. :p

If my third try doesn't turn out, then I probably will! Screw the little children chewing on my brew!

RDWTAS (relax don't worry take a shot!) :)

Latest posts

Back