American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found no. I added flame out hops to help with that on the second batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was so worried to be adding dry hops to the primary... Glad I didn't this is a fantastic beer... Can't get the 60 IPA but I have had the 90 and I have a feeling that I did a great job

1404537720634.jpg

1404537731881.jpg

I bottled my batch today. It tasted good however it lacked the umff of an IPA and hoppy aroma. Will this come out as it ages?
DFH 60 Minute is hoppy more in the sense of bitterness than it is in knocking you in the face with hop aroma and wrecking your palate with hop flavor like West Coast IPAs do. Since East Coast IPAs are American IPAs that are more akin to their British counterparts instead of their West Coast counterparts I am surprised many outside of the region (that is the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic) actually like this beer as an IPA. Next to Boh (National Bohemian) and Yuengling, you can get DFH 60 Minute practically everywhere around here (Maryland), even at VFWs. It is my go-to beer.

For what it is worth, the ABV of the "real" DFH 60 Minute is "only" 6% and fairly balanced between maltiness/bitterness with a slight lean towards the bitter side.

I just brewed this tonight for my second all grain home brew (maybe my 10th home brew to date, but just switched to all grain a few months ago). I can't wait!

After reading through posts here, I did make some changes:

1. Went down to 11 lbs of 2-row instead of the original 13 lbs.
2. Had to use Crisp Amber since my LHBS did not have Fawcett.
3. Used WLP001 - California Ale yeast.
4. Somewhat continuous hop with the warrior for the first 35 minutes, then combined the simcoe and amarillo for later additions -- 15/10/5/0 and a hop stand for 20 mins at 175 F. Dry hop won't change.

OG was 1.055. Really looking forward to this one!

I brewed the original recipe and it was awesome. My second go, I too dropped the base malt to 11 lbs, and had to switch to citra from simcoe. I also brewed with safale 05 this time. Great brew, this time at 6%.

Here we go finished product... Pretty obvious which one is mine... But hey mine tastes fresher and more flavor! Love it

1406175185508.jpg

I just brewed this tonight for my second all grain home brew (maybe my 10th home brew to date, but just switched to all grain a few months ago). I can't wait!

After reading through posts here, I did make some changes:

1. Went down to 11 lbs of 2-row instead of the original 13 lbs.
2. Had to use Crisp Amber since my LHBS did not have Fawcett.
3. Used WLP001 - California Ale yeast.
4. Somewhat continuous hop with the warrior for the first 35 minutes, then combined the simcoe and amarillo for later additions -- 15/10/5/0 and a hop stand for 20 mins at 175 F. Dry hop won't change.

OG was 1.055. Really looking forward to this one!

It's been 11 days in the primary. I took a gravity reading and it was just over 1.010, so fermentation is practically done. Although, it did have a rather pungent odor. Not sure how to explain it, but it wasn't great. This is my first time using WLP001... is this normal? I did some Googling and saw other comments that sounded similar about the smell of this yeast, but, as usual, no one ever posts a resolution about how their beer turned out.

Ignore it. The smell of fermentation is NOT the smell of beer.

I'd usually agree with you, but it's been almost 2 weeks and I've smelled almost all of my brews in the primary at this point and it's usually smelled good, or at least close to good. This one is odd though. But yes, I'm leaning towards this as being normal for this yeast and not that something is wrong.

Brought this one to a bring a brew night at the LHBS and our was very well received. This is the best beer I have made to date!

Ignore it. The smell of fermentation is NOT the smell of beer.

Annnnnnnnd.... you were right :mug:

Kegged Friday night, had a pint this evening. Tastes great! No trace of what I was smelling whatsoever. I'm starting to think what I was smelling was CO2.

Once it has cleared up a bit, I'll be doing a side-by-side and will post the results.

I have a gift card to a "diy beer" website that only sells extracts and kits. Normally I all-grain brew so this will be my first extract.

Can anyone tell me if the "Dry Malt Extract" referred to in the recipe is the same as any of these:
Cooper's Amber Malt Extract
Cooper's Dark Malt Extract
Cooper's Light Malt Extract

As these are my only options and I want to make 10 gallons is there any combination of these that will work? They come in 3.3 lb cans.

I have a gift card to a "diy beer" website that only sells extracts and kits. Normally I all-grain brew so this will be my first extract.

Can anyone tell me if the "Dry Malt Extract" referred to in the recipe is the same as any of these:
Cooper's Amber Malt Extract
Cooper's Dark Malt Extract
Cooper's Light Malt Extract

As these are my only options and I want to make 10 gallons is there any combination of these that will work? They come in 3.3 lb cans.

Yooper's 5 gallon extract recipe on page 1 calls for 9.5 lbs of pale liquid extract and 1 lb of crystal. For 10 gallons using the coopers, I would try 5 cans of the light and one can of the amber which says it includes crystal. Those are liquid extract cans.

Got this going in my primary right now. Added some extra simcoe and Amarillo to the last 15 minute hop additions as well as 1oz of mosaic. LHBS was out of whole simcoe so I got some mosaic instead. I'll be dry hopping with the little bit of whole simcoe I have left, 1oz mosaic and 1oz Amarillo. Used Nottingham and it took off within 4 hours. Lots of debris and trub being sucked up through the blowoff tube for a very active fermentation.

Once it has cleared up a bit, I'll be doing a side-by-side and will post the results.

Okay so I'm overdue here on this. I took this pic and did a side-by-side some time ago, but just haven't had a chance to get on here with a vacation and all.

You can tell which is mine. This one turned out quite a bit lighter in color than the original. But, after tasting both at the same time, I actually prefer mine. I enjoyed the hop aroma and smoother taste with mine. For whatever reason, the original had what I'd call a lager taste that I'm not a big fan of with some lagers. It was very close, but if I had to choose a pint of mine or the original, I'd go with mine.

GmfHfNm.jpg

Hi Yooper,

Just to be clear, the hop schedule for your "House IPA" version of this is all the bittering @60m then the rest are evenly distributed at 15-10-5-0?

Thanks for all your efforts!

I've made this 3 times and will make it regularly. Has anybody added citra to the dry hop? Sierra Nevada does this with an ipa I think... Never had it but wondered if it's good.

Hi Yooper,

Just to be clear, the hop schedule for your "House IPA" version of this is all the bittering @60m then the rest are evenly distributed at 15-10-5-0?

Thanks for all your efforts!

Yes, although the original hopping might be different in the BSM file. But yes, add the bittering hops at 60, then hop either continously from 25-0, or go ahead and divide them up at 15/10/5/0. I've done both many times, and haven't noticed a difference.

Thanks, I'm brewing some version of this on Saturday and I'm trying to decide between the original or the little lighter, somewhat less tedious version :cross:

Do you have an official recipe for your House IPA?

So here is my question... (for Yooper or Yuri, or whomever....)

A friend of mine is coming up to visit me on November 1st (National Learn to Homebrew Day).

His original reason for visiting was because he got a taste of Hill Farmstead "Edward" this summer and since I live 20 minutes from the brewery, he was coming to do the brewery thing with me.
(oddly, the 20 minute drive is GREATLY surpassed by the nearly 2 hour wait in line all 3 times that I have gone)

Since this is such a glorious holiday (should be)... we decided to do an extract batch of beer that he can take home with him as his first fermenting beverage (we have coined the term: his holiday "prize")

I usually brew AG and did not want to complicate the day, so opted to simply do 2 extract brews (K.I.S.S).
This way we can enjoy homebrew and the Edward and not have the stress of a lot of lifting and thinking... etc... (sounds like a good plan to me)

So, since the extract version of this is partial boil at 2.5 gallons, can I make this alteration?

Make it a 5 gal boil (probably 6 pre-boil to account for evaporation)

Double up on every ingredient and then split the chilled wort between 2 buckets and then top off to 5 gal each?

Plan on building up a HUGE starter of washed 1056 about a week in advance and then split it between the batches (or 1056 in one and Notty in the other)

Does this all sound legit?:mug:

So here is my question... (for Yooper or Yuri, or whomever....)

A friend of mine is coming up to visit me on November 1st (National Learn to Homebrew Day).

His original reason for visiting was because he got a taste of Hill Farmstead "Edward" this summer and since I live 20 minutes from the brewery, he was coming to do the brewery thing with me.
(oddly, the 20 minute drive is GREATLY surpassed by the nearly 2 hour wait in line all 3 times that I have gone)

Since this is such a glorious holiday (should be)... we decided to do an extract batch of beer that he can take home with him as his first fermenting beverage (we have coined the term: his holiday "prize")

I usually brew AG and did not want to complicate the day, so opted to simply do 2 extract brews (K.I.S.S).
This way we can enjoy homebrew and the Edward and not have the stress of a lot of lifting and thinking... etc... (sounds like a good plan to me)

So, since the extract version of this is partial boil at 2.5 gallons, can I make this alteration?

Make it a 5 gal boil (probably 6 pre-boil to account for evaporation)

Double up on every ingredient and then split the chilled wort between 2 buckets and then top off to 5 gal each?

Plan on building up a HUGE starter of washed 1056 about a week in advance and then split it between the batches (or 1056 in one and Notty in the other)

Does this all sound legit?:mug:

I haven't brewed an extract batch in a long time, more than 8 years or so, but it sounds like it would work. Or, boil more than that to get better hops utilization if you can, and still make it a 10 gallon batch.

I'm still brewing this beer, by the way, but have made a few simple changes to make it my House IPA. As a matter of fact, I brewed it today, doing this for a 10 gallon batch:

22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 96.7 %
12.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) 3.3 %

1.00 oz Warrior [18.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 34.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 3.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min 4.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min 2.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min 3.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days

I've used all sorts of yeast strains in this, but find that I like WLP001 the best, while Wyeast 1335 makes the clearest beer along with great flavor.

Yoop,

Your house IPA looks right up my ally. My LHBS (Bell's) only has Munton's Amber, which has a lovibond of 2. I saw earlier in the thread that you thought that there wasn't too much difference between Munton's and Fawcett, but would you recommend adding some caramel 20 or 40 to compensate for the color? Like a half pound or so? Honestly, I'm more interested in getting the taste right than matching the color.

I brewed your oatmeal stout a couple weeks ago and it's awesome, BTW. Thanks for the recipe.

Yoop,

Your house IPA looks right up my ally. My LHBS (Bell's) only has Munton's Amber, which has a lovibond of 2. I saw earlier in the thread that you thought that there wasn't too much difference between Munton's and Fawcett, but would you recommend adding some caramel 20 or 40 to compensate for the color? Like a half pound or so? Honestly, I'm more interested in getting the taste right than matching the color.

I brewed your oatmeal stout a couple weeks ago and it's awesome, BTW. Thanks for the recipe.

Weird- amber malt should be amber and not base malt colored. Still, if the flavor is there the color doesn't matter I guess. I wouldn't add caramel.

Yeah, it is odd. I'm wondering if maybe it should be 20 instead of 2.0. It's distributed by LD Carlson, and they have 2.0 on their site, too. Thanks for the reply, and the recipe.

Are you fermenting WLP001 at 63 as well or was this just for the Pacman?

Thanks! Just bought the stuff for this, will be brewing it over the weekend! :):ban::mug:

Yooper- I had the actual DFH 60 minute tonight for the first time. The last batch I made of this stuff is much better than the commercial offering Ihad tonight. Thanks again for the recipe!

Anyone ever use citra for this?
I'm hoping to brew tomorrow and I've got a spare ounce. I was thinking half in the boil added with the simcoe/amarillo and the other half for dry hopping with simcoe/amarillo. The rest of the recipe would be the same.

Thoughts?

Anyone ever use citra for this?
I'm hoping to brew tomorrow and I've got a spare ounce. I was thinking half in the boil added with the simcoe/amarillo and the other half for dry hopping with simcoe/amarillo. The rest of the recipe would be the same.

Thoughts?

Only one way to find out...

Fair enough :D

I've not used citra before, but I'm assuming it tastes just like it sounds. If that's right, it should work out pretty well.
I didn't get this together this weekend but I hope to next weekend. If I try it I'll report back with results.

Fair enough :D

I've not used citra before, but I'm assuming it tastes just like it sounds. If that's right, it should work out pretty well.
I didn't get this together this weekend but I hope to next weekend. If I try it I'll report back with results.

That's the spirit! Lol

It won't be quite Dogfish but I'm sure it will still make a tasty IPA. You might like it better that way. That's what is so great about homebrewing! I rarely ask for opinions on ingredients but instead try them out on small batches for myself. Everyone has a different take on taste :cool:

Brewed this up again this weekend. Actually managed to hit all of my numbers for once :cool:

A few deviations from the original:
- Mistakenly added all of the Warrior (only 1oz) @ 60 minutes, but I'm not expecting that to be a problem.
- Substituted Topaz for Amarillo
- Added .5oz of citra with the simcoe and topaz additions. I'll use another .5oz to dry hop with.

Strongly considering brewing this again soon. If history repeats itself, I won't be able to keep this batch around for very long :mug:

Noob here.

I've brewed a Mr. Beer kit, 2 extracts, and 1 extract w steeping grains.

That said, want to try to brew this one up this weekend with a friend who wants to check out home brewing so I figured it'd be fun for us both to learn something and try this as a partial mash. The other reason for partial is I only have a 5 gal kettle and I'm a student so can't really afford to buy a bigger kettle and/or do this one all extract since 8 lbs of DME will be $40 alone.

So hoping to get someone to re-assure me what I'm doing is going to be okay.

BIAB partial mash with:
7# 2-row
0.375# TF amber

At 1.25 qt/lb, 153F

Pull out bag and let drain over the kettle. Probably sparge by pouring water from an electric kettle that has cooled down over the grains.

Top up water to ~3.5-4 gallons which is what I can typically boil.

Add:
3# DME (can I add this later in the boil to minimize colour?)

Will keep another # or so of DME on hand in case I don't reach my target at the end.

Hop schedule will follow the extract schedule on page 1.

Top up with water from a water jug once in fermenter (hoping to only have to add 2 gallons or so).

Yeast either 001 or US-05. If I use 001 do I need to make a starter or can I just add it in?

Thanks in advance!

So hoping to get someone to re-assure me what I'm doing is going to be okay.

BIAB partial mash with:
7# 2-row
0.375# TF amber

At 1.25 qt/lb, 153F

Pull out bag and let drain over the kettle. Probably sparge by pouring water from an electric kettle that has cooled down over the grains.

Top up water to ~3.5-4 gallons which is what I can typically boil.

Add:
3# DME (can I add this later in the boil to minimize colour?)

Will keep another # or so of DME on hand in case I don't reach my target at the end.

Hop schedule will follow the extract schedule on page 1.

Top up with water from a water jug once in fermenter (hoping to only have to add 2 gallons or so).

Yeast either 001 or US-05. If I use 001 do I need to make a starter or can I just add it in?

Thanks in advance!

If you're doing BIAB, first make sure to get a good crush on your grains. Next try and mash with as much water as you can in your kettle. From a BIAB calculator, looks like your can mash 7.4lbs of grain at 2qts/lb in 4.29 gallons of water. Calculate grain absorption to get your volume after BIAB and sparge with the volume of water to get your wanted preboil volume which you said is around 4 gallons.
Adding your grains/DME into this simple calculator it looks like you're right on track for this recipe which gives an OG of 1.066 and FG of 1.018 assuming you get 5 gallons into the fermenter. Lastly, definitely make a starter or if you're not ready for that then pitch 2 packs of S-05.

If you're doing BIAB, first make sure to get a good crush on your grains. Next try and mash with as much water as you can in your kettle. From a BIAB calculator, looks like your can mash 7.4lbs of grain at 2qts/lb in 4.29 gallons of water. Calculate grain absorption to get your volume after BIAB and sparge with the volume of water to get your wanted preboil volume which you said is around 4 gallons.
Adding your grains/DME into this simple calculator it looks like you're right on track for this recipe which gives an OG of 1.066 and FG of 1.018 assuming you get 5 gallons into the fermenter. Lastly, definitely make a starter or if you're not ready for that then pitch 2 packs of S-05.

Thanks, I brewed on Sunday actually and it went pretty well other than the fact that the calculated strike temp didn't work out as planned and I was mashing at around 160 for the first 15-20 minutes.

I mashed at around 1.3-1.5 qt/lb and I ended up going with 8# 2-row and 0.375# biscuit (since they were out of amber).

Drained the grains and sparged by pouring just under a gallon over them to reach pre-boil volume and added ~3# DME.

Ended up with 3 gallons after the boil into the fermenter and after topping up to 5 gallons with distilled water my OG was 1.070 so it seems to have worked out alright.

I made a 1L starter the night before because that's the biggest thing I could find to make one in.

Thing was going like crazy the next morning, have never used liquid yeast before. Went out and bought some more vinyl tubing and switched to a blowoff tube which was also going like crazy.

Fermenting a bit warm right now about 68-70F but can't really do anything about it other than throw a cold towel around it every now and then.

Thanks, I brewed on Sunday actually and it went pretty well other than the fact that the calculated strike temp didn't work out as planned and I was mashing at around 160 for the first 15-20 minutes.

I mashed at around 1.3-1.5 qt/lb and I ended up going with 8# 2-row and 0.375# biscuit (since they were out of amber).

Drained the grains and sparged by pouring just under a gallon over them to reach pre-boil volume and added ~3# DME.

Ended up with 3 gallons after the boil into the fermenter and after topping up to 5 gallons with distilled water my OG was 1.070 so it seems to have worked out alright.

I made a 1L starter the night before because that's the biggest thing I could find to make one in.

Thing was going like crazy the next morning, have never used liquid yeast before. Went out and bought some more vinyl tubing and switched to a blowoff tube which was also going like crazy.

Fermenting a bit warm right now about 68-70F but can't really do anything about it other than throw a cold towel around it every now and then.

Sounds like everything went well although you might have a full body beer in the end, not so bad. Also forgot to mention to not add the lme until the last 10 minutes that way you end up with a lighter colored beer.

Fantastic Recipe!

I followed almost exactly. Came out at 7.75% and really great flavor and aroma. Not quite Dogfish Head 60 min IPA, but very good. Set it aside for 2 months before pulling it out again for a clone war competition. Long story short, I won 1st place with a score of 45,46! Color, aroma and flavor were spot on! I heard one of the judges say "I keep forgetting which ones which!?"

Will brew this again.. Cheers!

20141108_201453.jpg

1405819700106.jpg

I have brewed the extract version of this 3 times now and will finally get to brew the all grain version soon. I must say this is by far the the drink I like best and as my skill improves so does the beer. Bottled the first batch and kegged the last two. All were great! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Back