newbie ? about steam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKHA

Reaction score
I have brewed a few ales and all have turned out just fine/great just a few ? and I think I will have a better feel on what I am doing.

1 Cali common from NB extract kit OG of 1.046 what should I be looking at for a FG using Saflager 23 in a 60-64 temp range and how do I come up with these numbers?

2 Lager/time is this just the time it conditions in the secondary/bottles? this will be done in the same temp range as the ferment as it is the best I have. Thanks in advance jr

#1. find the attenuation rating for the yeast. it should say on the package or on the manufacture's website. now take the number to the right of the decimal point of your OG reading and multiply by 1 - (% / 100). that should be your expected FG. Don't be to terribly alarmed if real life dose not match this number exactly.

Your FG should be somewhere between 1.013-1.009. Those are just ballpark figures, but S-23 has an average attenuation of 73.5%.

Aside from using calculations; your FG would typically be...

whatever the gravity is when you check your hydrometer readings a few days between and it is unchanged....

Based on yeast, temperature, etc. (and, really, your recipe should list a FG ballpark, no?).

Good luck and enjoy the final product!

Thanks for the help I checked it to see if it was close to range and it is at 1.01 so I I am good to go on this one the Oktoberfest is still chugging along for the 2nd week it started at 1.06 trying to figure this one

Latest posts

Back