Chiller mounted to Brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakehale

Reaction score
I know this has to have been done. Cant seem to find a picture

Does anyone have a "built in" cooler on thier boil kettle? mounted to it so to speak. having a fitting "in" on the kettle then the chiller run through the pot and a fitting "out" of the kettle.

basically permatantly attaching the chiller to the pot?

Jake

I've put a copper coil on the OUTSIDE of my kettle using JBIndustroWeld to aid with cooling during the whirlpool. The rig isn't quite finished yet, so whether or not it helps is yet to be determined.

Absolutely no need to apologize, that's what the discussion board is for. I don't have any personal experience with that type of chiller, so I had to defer to the Google machine.

jakehale said:
thanks....

also found out that HERMS uses what i am talking about. sorry for the post....

Seems as though the HERM coil is for recirculating wort. I imagin it could work as a chiller as well. I think I am going to try to add this to my keggle.....I am ready to do some 10 gallon batches.

One thing to consider is that this will make it way harder to clean your boil kettle. In a HLT it's not a big deal, since it's just water. But in a boil kettle you'll have hob debris to contend with.

I don't want to throw cold water (ha!) on the idea, but I agree with tophmck- be sure to have a way to remove it or cleaning your boil kettle will be a huge pain. So, you know, permanent-but-not-permanent.

good points..... im thinking a couple bulkhead fittings with compression fittings on the coil,,, make it removable so to speak for clean up...

if i ever get it moving, ill post a pic or two

I have installed my copper coils in my brew Kettle. It works fine and all I have to do to clean it is put oxy clean in the kettle and let it sit for a day or so. Have never had any problems with it. I have welded stainless steel fittings in the kettle and use hose fittings to hook up the coils. I do not take the out cause if you remove them you will have to replace the rubber seals on the hose fittings.

I put my coil in the HLT and use it for HERMS and cooling. As posted previous the main advantage is not having to clean the coil or remove it. Wort only passes through the inside of the coil and the HLT stays nice and clean. You do however need a pump so if you don’t have one that could be a deal breaker. I have several photos in my MaxOut Brewstation Link below.

Latest posts

Back