Steam Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
SO, before i get to my question, i just want to say that it'll be 2 weeks before i try another one!

ok, so i bottled my steam/Cali Common just a few days ago, i had one bottle that was only like half full, so i put it in the frig yesterday and i just tried it. It sort of had a wine smell to it and still a little sweet, i know the sweet taste should go away, but the smell has me a little concerned.

second question, i planned on letting it sit at room temp for two weeks to carb then i'll put it in frig and/or cold storage.

I'm going to guess that the "wine" smell was oxidation. The bottle was only 1/2 full, so it had 1/2 bottle of oxygen in it. Was it kind of like sherry? That would be the giveaway.

Keeping it at room temperature for two weeks is a good plan- then refrigerate one and test it the next day. If that's fully carbonated, you can store the rest of the bottles wherever you'd like.

YooperBrew said:
I'm going to guess that the "wine" smell was oxidation. The bottle was only 1/2 full, so it had 1/2 bottle of oxygen in it. Was it kind of like sherry? That would be the giveaway.

Keeping it at room temperature for two weeks is a good plan- then refrigerate one and test it the next day. If that's fully carbonated, you can store the rest of the bottles wherever you'd like.

cool thanks!

Latest posts

Back