black mold on keezer collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H22W

Reaction score
My keezer is located in sunroom/porch where the taps often condensate due to humid conditions. The condensation has spread to my unfinished wooden collar causing the collar to mold.

If I were to rebuild collar with a varnished board (polyurethane) should I be able to keep it mold free?

Thanks

Mold forms when conditions are good - moist and dark. Varnishing or painting the collar will make it easier to clean but won't stop the mold, if it's still moist. You can kill the mold with household bleach. However, it will also bleach the wood, if it hasn't been coated. You can then stain & varnish it or paint it.

There is a handy product designed just for mold that works pretty well. It's called "Mold Armor". I was first introduced to stuff like it at a biology lab in college. There are multiple products out there. Mold Armor is bleach based FYI.

Mold is not uncommon in conditions that occur with fridges and freezers. I'd definitely coat that bare wood with Urethane or your favorite finish and then clean it once in a while with a bit of bleach cleaner.

And I'm curious about that "Mold Armor" that RedBeard mentions. Might be worth looking into for a recurring problem area.

Back